Chapter 6

"We are now twelve hours in with all 22 campers still wide awake," Chris's voice says quietly as Owen walks backwards in front of us all. I can't help but yawn as I feel my head start to nod. Duncan smacks my arm a bit and I jolt up.
   "I know I know," I say, yawning again and rubbing my eyes.
   "Woo hoo!" Owen's voice yells out. "Stay awake for twelve hours? I could do that in my sleep!" he whoops again before falling over, dead asleep.
   "This is the most boring thing I've ever done in my life," Gwen yawns and Trent takes his opportunity to flirt with her.
   "So," Duncan pipes up, a small smirk on his face, "who do you think is out next?" He turns to me, talking in what I can only assume is an attempt to keep himself awake.
   "Smart money is on blondie," I point to Lindsay who is now standing on her head. "Or one of the twigs," I yawn, pointing to Cody and Noah. I happily accept the interaction, also trying to keep myself awake.
   "True. Those tiny things don't stand a chance!" He laughs, putting his hand on his face. I can't help but stare at him, taking the time to actually look him over. His eyes are a striking electric blue, sitting comfortably under close-knit eyebrows. His piercings are well done and well placed. The spiked collar accentuates his collarbone and makes his neck look longer, giving him a taller feel. He's got broader shoulders and well toned arms which, I assume, is from being in juvie. "Hey! You still awake over there?" he waves his hand in my face and I jump.
   "Yeah! Yeah sorry just got lost in my own world," I smile a bit and turn to my Gameboy to hide the blush on my face.

   Twelve more hours pass and Izzy and Noah are our cold. Bridgette, Katie, and Sadie joined them not to long ago. Justin has been standing on the sidelines for hours now. Duncan and my conversation has been pretty unsubstantial but constant and a factor in keeping me awake. My Gameboy died about 7 hours into playing so I've turned my attention back to him, but not enough to recreate what happened earlier. Yesterday? It's getting hard to track. Tyler screams, jolting us all out of our half asleep state and even waking up the best girl friends.
   "Congratulations campers! You've made it to the 24 hour mark!" Chris's somehow still chipper voice rings out and I slide off my stump to lay on the ground. "Time to take things up a notch," he says as Chef Hatchet walks out in a sheep costume with a small harp. "Fairy tales!" he smiles as he takes the sheet of the pile of books and we all groan.
   "Now that's just evil," I say, narrowing my eyes at him.
"Good luck staying awake, Princess," Duncan says in a teasing tone as Chris starts to read. Slowly the campers around us start to fall asleep but none fully do. Until Chef decides to start dancing and sprinkling us all with glitter. DJ, who tied himself to a tree, falls asleep first and takes the whole tree with him.
"Timber," I hear Gwen yawn out.
"This is torture," I groan out and flop my head back down onto the ground. Duncan soon joins me on the ground, laying his head down next to mine and stretching his body in the opposite direction.
"I think that's the idea," Duncan chuckles as he stares up at the sky.
"I've never seen so many stars before," I say in slight awe. "Living in the city, we don't get so many. Just the brightest ones."
"Yeah. It's really pretty," he glances at me before looking back towards the heavens. I smile a bit and just enjoy the company for a little before turning on my side to look at him.
"If you win, where are you going to put that piercing?" I ask, a small smile appearing on my lips.
"Hm..I don't know yet," he rolls over to face me. "You'd look really hot with a tongue piercing," he says with a wink. I roll my eyes and push his shoulder.

Eighteen hours pass with us chatting the night away. Only Courtney, Eva, Duncan, and I remain awake on our team. Heather, Trent, Gwen, and Justin are the only ones on the Gophers who haven't passed out yet. I curl up on myself and yawn loudly.
"Hey. Yo. No falling asleep yet! There's still four Gophers we need to out last!" Duncan says, shaking me a bit.
"What? Don't think you can do so on your own?" I snark back at him, laughing a bit.
   "No! Of course I could!! It's just better with company," he admits, sheepishly.
   "Awwwee someone likes talking to me~" I tease in a singsong voice. He shoves me and I lose my balance, falling over. We both laugh as I sit up against a stump.
   "Shut up. You're just the least annoying person here," he says, defensively.