Chapter 29

"Are you sure Neo is not here?" Beatrix asked, a hint of skepticism in her voice, as she glanced around the room.

Phoenix shook her head in response. "No, he's not here," she confirmed.

"Okay, cool," Beatrix said, visibly relieved.

"You want to see him?" Phoenix asked, a playful smile tugging at her lips.

"No, no," Beatrix replied quickly, waving off the suggestion.

"Hmm," Phoenix murmured, still smiling, enjoying the light-hearted banter with her sister.

"Dear lord, I'm famished," Beatrix announced suddenly, shifting the conversation to a more pressing matter.

"There is food," Phoenix reassured her, rising from her seat. Beatrix followed suit, and they both made their way to the kitchen.

"One day we will live in this kind of mansion," Beatrix remarked wistfully, gazing around the opulent surroundings with a hint of longing.

Phoenix smiled at her sister's dream, sharing the same aspiration herself.

Beatrix busied herself with dishing out the food, placing the plates on the countertop before settling onto a stool, ready to enjoy the meal.

"You ever told Fiona that I and Neo dated?" Beatrix asked, turning her attention to her sister as she settled at the kitchen counter.

"Uhm... I don't think so," Phoenix replied, dishing herself some food before joining Beatrix at the counter.

"Hmm," Beatrix murmured, a flicker of disappointment crossing her features. She had hoped that her sister would have confided in Fiona about her past relationship with Neo.

"How is he doing?" Beatrix inquired, nodding towards Phoenix's bump, her gaze lingering on the visible swell.

"Playful all the time," Phoenix replied with a fond smile, her hand instinctively drifting to her stomach. She chuckled softly before taking a seat beside Beatrix.

"Does it hurt anytime he kicks?" Beatrix asked, her gaze still fixed on Phoenix's bump.

"Yeah, it does... but it's worth it though. It's so fun seeing that he likes playing most of the time," Phoenix answered, her smile widening as she gave her bump a light caress.

Beatrix couldn't help but smile at her sister's genuine joy. She remembered when their father had told her that Phoenix wasn't initially happy about having a baby sister. Now, seeing Phoenix so content carrying a child was heartwarming.

"Does it hurt?" Beatrix asked suddenly, her tone serious as she met Phoenix's gaze.

"What?" Phoenix frowned, caught off guard by the question.

"Like... you won't be part of this child's life at all," Beatrix clarified, her concern evident in her eyes.

Phoenix felt a pang of sadness at Beatrix's words. It was just a contract, but she had grown so attached to the child growing inside her.

  Most of the time, she found herself wishing that he was truly hers. She knew that one day she would have to leave and never see the child again, a thought that weighed heavily on her heart.

"Uhm...kind of, but... it's okay now," Phoenix reassured her sister, offering a small smile in return.

"Sorry," Beatrix murmured, her expression filled with genuine concern. Phoenix appreciated her sister's understanding.

Suddenly, Phoenix realized that she hadn't yet told Beatrix about her encounter with their mother.

"I saw Mom," Phoenix revealed, catching Beatrix's full attention.