Chapter 10- Pieces Of The Past

Woo-Hyun's POV:
[Summer of 2014]

"...hyung... please... please return back home" 

"No, Jaehyun. I can't go back. Father kicked me out, remember?" I somehow managed to say while swallowing my tears. 
Jaehyun was already crying over the phone and if I cried... then I wouldn't be able to stop myself from returning back home.  
And I can't go back to that place.

"Hyung, please" I pressed my lips to prevent myself from crying but a drop of tear still managed to roll down my cheek

"Jaehyun, if I go back then... I would never be able to fulfill my dream so please... this one time... forgive me" I said and disconnected the call before he could say anything
If I had heard him cry one more time, I would've run back home
Sorry, Jaehyun... I am not strong enough. 

I sighed as I looked at the endless sea in front of me. I was sitting on a cliff and my suitcases were lying next to me. 
The warm sea breeze hit my face as I stood up. I wiped the tears that had rolled down my cheeks earlier when I noticed the kids who were playing on the beach. 
They were completely carefree and enjoying every moment they were spending on the beach... which was the complete opposite of my current situation. 

I let out a weary sigh when someone caught my arm, startling me
I turned around only to find a girl who was holding my arm. It looked like she was in highschool. 

"You are going to jump, aren't you?" She said 

"Huh?!" I replied with confusion clearly visible on my face 

"I've seen this in dramas... the main lead is going through a tough time so he decides to end his life with no one by his side to save him... but, I won't let that happen to you!"

"What are you even talking about?" I said while sounding half amused and half confused, "Let go of me,"

"No! You will jump then!" 

"Hey, you think I can't overpower you? If I had to jump, then I would've taken you along with me and jumped," I argued but she did not budge 

"Do whatever you want," She replied making me chuckle 

"Alright alright, I won't jump today or in the near future..." I said, "... happy?"

She nodded at my statement and finally let go of my hand

"You see, I may not know what you are going through or how hard it has been for you lately but if you end your life, it's just over. Think about your dreams, about the people who love you and look up to you, and moreover think about yourself... will you be okay if everything just ended like that?" She continued, "You don't need the whole world to be by your side so that you can continue to live... trust me, just one person is enough."

A small smile spread across my face
"I guess so," I said
"Thank you," was what I wanted to say but I couldn't for some reason

My eyes traveled to her name tag which said, "Yoo Ji-Eun" 

Ji-Eun... I hope we meet again someday. 

End of POV

"Where are you?" the text said. It was from him. 

"I've paid this month's rent" I texted him back and was about to keep my phone back in my pocket when I received another text. 

"Come to my office" I read the text and looked at the clock. It was half past 10 and the bakery was almost empty except for a few customers who were waiting for their order.

"Now?"

"Yes, I'm your customer. You can't say no to a customer"

I rolled my eyes at his reply. After closing the phone, I packed the remaining few orders of the customers before bidding them goodbye. I removed my apron and arranged the chairs and tables as I prepared to close for the night. 
Jaehyun's office was a little bit far from my bakery and taking a bus was what I'd usually prefer but today I decided to walk there mainly for two reasons:
1. The weather was too good and the cold breeze blowing refreshed my mind
2. I can't say no to a "customer" but the time taken to meet the "customer" depends upon me

Jaehyun's POV:

I smiled to myself when I sent her the last message and she did not reply which meant that it worked. She was coming here. 

My attention was drawn to Woo-Hyung when he said, "What's with that smile?" 
I looked at him and there he was, sitting on the sofa while leaning back and a book in his hand. 

"I'm expecting someone," I said while leaning back on my chair 

"Girlfriend?" a laugh left my mouth when he said

"If I had a girlfriend, the media would've made headlines about it long back" I replied which made him laugh 

"Then who? Crush? One-sided love? Ex?"

"Business related," I said
"Just... someone," I thought

"But hyung...." I said, "... that handkerchief doesn't look like it's yours" 
I pointed at the hem of the handkerchief which was poking out of his bag. 

"Someone gave it to me and... I need to return it"

"So you just carry it around?"

"Yes..." he said, "... in case I meet her somewhere... I'll have an excuse to talk to her"

End of POV

By the time I reached Jaehyun's office, it was almost 11 pm. 
I took out my phone to give him a call when I heard someone call out my name, "Ms. Yoo"
I turned around only to find Secretary Shin standing at the main entrance of the building. I waved at him to which he bowed in reply. 

"Mr. Jeong is waiting for you in his office" I nodded and followed him to his office. 
We stopped in front of his office where Secretary Shin knocked on the door and said, "Mr. Jeong, Ms. Yoo is here" 
A few seconds later we heard a "come in" from inside 
I looked at Secretary Shin who gestured me to go inside. 

Taking a deep breath, I gently pushed the door and walked inside the room and there he was, sitting on his chair with a file in his hand. He wore a suit as usual and his hair was neatly styled. 
Feeling my presence, he looked up and that's when his eyes met that of mine. 

"Have a seat" He said but I did not reply. Instead, I just sat on the sofa, while being completely stiff. 
The lights in the room were dimly turned on and the view from the window behind him was magnificent. I looked around the room when my eyes landed on a shelf which was filled with countless awards. 

"So..." he said drawing my attention, "... have you decided on a design for the cake?" 

He got up from his seat and started walking towards me

"Ye- Yes... it's uh..." I stuttered as I took out my phone while he kept walking towards me, "... it's here"

I scrolled through my phone trying to find out the designs that I had saved. 
I stifled a sigh as he sat on the arm of the sofa, right next to me. I tried focusing but for some reason... the tension in the air was thick enough to cut with a knife. 

"These are a few that I shortlisted," I said, unknowingly leaning further in, to clearly show him the designs  

"I liked the first one" 

"Then-" I stopped when I looked up at him and our eyes met yet again. 

"But Ji-Eun..." he said, his voice low and gravelly, as he leaned in closer. He gently held my chin as he slowly traced his thumb over my lips, "... this can wait right?"

Before I could comprehend what was happening, he closed the gap between us, his lips crashing down on mine in a kiss that stole the air from my lungs.
At first, I resisted, my instincts screaming at me to push him away. But then his tongue traced the seam of my lips, coaxing me to open up to him, and I found myself melting into his embrace, my body responding to his touch with a hunger I never knew I had.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to deepen the kiss.

When I first met him, I had never imagined that everything would lead to this.
I couldn't tolerate him at first but now I found myself surrendering to him, allowing him to do anything that he was willing to do. 

When we finally pulled away, our chests were heaving and our lips were swollen with desire

With a small smirk on his face, he said,
"This couldn't wait"