3. Hide & Seek

We're in the yard, everyone's running around, others kids seem to enjoy it but I don't, I just sit there and watch as everyone plays.

Then his face shows up, he's new here. His green eyes light up as he looks straight into my eyes. His eyes, they're like a deep green, the kind of green a forest in the middle of spring  would have. But in those beautiful eyes holds fear. He looks so scared and hopeless.

He walks to the garden where vibrant flowers and fruit trees peacefully bathe in the sunlight.

I watch him carefully as he raises his hand to catch a butterfly that was fluttering it's wings nearby, but it flew away. He remains calm and patient as he turns to another butterfly, this time, he catches it. His smile starts to grow on his face as he adores the creature.

But not long after he caught it, he killed it. My eyes widen as his hand crushes the butterfly causing it to die. He suddenly turns his head as he looks at me with the butterfly still in his hand then he smilesa proud one.

I woke up breathless, my body sweaty and my head spinning.

What was that dream? I remember it was in the old orphanage and that boy was Harry. The person I haven't seen in 10 years, I almost forgot about him.

Then a thought hit me, I realized that I still miss him, that I still remember every detail about him. His brown and curly hair, his green eyes, his voice... Everything flashes back like a slideshow in fast motion. I remember the first time that I talked to him, how we played together and how much we cared for each other. I remember when we played in the yard, and how unlike the other kids, he liked plants, not toys. He likes flowers, not bubbles. Butterflies but not people. I remember how he used to tell me about how much he adores the butterflies and how much he loves watching them. He told me that they were the most beautiful thing he had ever seen... Until he ruined it. I didn't exactly get what he meant because I thought that was just a story he made up to entertain me. I never saw him kill any butterflies, until now.

Why did Harry appear in my dream? I haven't heard or seen him since they moved him to the hospital and now, I suddenly dream about him. I wonder what had happened to him? And how he is now.

I decide to get some water so I walk downstairs. It's 2 in the morning so it's still dark.

My breathing steadied and my headache went away after I drank a glass of water, I slowly and cautiously walk back to my room, trying to not make a sound.

By the time I get to my room, I realize that the window is still open, causing the wind to blow inside.

I walk to the window to shut it but as soon as I reach it, I gasp as I look into the reflection of the glass. A shadow stands behind me, the figure seeming to have the shape of a man. I turn around quickly but see nothing.

I can feel the harsh beating of my heart against my chest as if it was about to jump out. I know what I saw, it was so clear, there was a man standing behind me and it was so real. It's couldn't have been an illusion or my imagination. But the fact that there was nothing behind me contradicts that.

I get back into the bed and try to fall asleep but fail, my heart is still pounding. I stare at the ceiling not knowing what to do to get the thoughts out my head. As much as I tried, I can't get it out so I just lie there, with my eyes open and think about Harry, hoping he could replace the horrifying memory.

• • •

"Shit!" I let out a curse as I quickly shut off my alarm and carry myself to the bathroom.

I look tired, there is dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep and my lips were chapped and bleeding a bit. I wash my face then strip from my pajamas before taking a shower. I make sure to get the water hot enough so that it would relax my skin. But I guess it's too hot because now my bathroom is covered with steam.