Chapter 33

Harry was at a loss for words; this boy was indeed very straightforward. Harry asked her father for clearance to leave the palace. She didn't tell him about the date, but she was easily able to get permission. She hadn't intended to make a big deal about her date with Terrance, but Paula had other plans.

"This is a big deal, Princess," she explained. "This is your first date, right?"

"Yes," Harry answered.

"Your first date is the one you never forget. The young master of Branson is a very kind boy. I'm sure things will work out between the two of you."

Harry gave a forced smile. "I guess so."

"And if it's any consolation, his father, Earl Marion, is revered as a very handsome man."

"Really?"

"Yes! Many young girls cried when they learned about his engagement."

"Hmm."

Harry wasn't trying to say that she didn't believe in the earl's looks. She agreed that his son was cute, but she didn't feel attracted to him in that way. Paula seemed to have taken the hint because she added, "Listen, Princess, if you don't like the young master, then you just don't, but you should at least give him a chance before deciding."

Harry nodded. Although she didn't like Terrance romantically now, that could very well change in the future. Feelings are fleeting after all.

After Paula finished getting Harry all dolled up for her date with Terrance, she sent her on her way.

Harry was to meet Terrance at a restaurant. It was a fancy restaurant that was well-known and recommended by most of the nobles. Harry was excited to try the food at such a place, but she secretly would've rather had something simple. Her ideal date was to have a small picnic near a breathtaking view.

She entered in her elegant yellow dress with her hair all tied back and a purse dangling over her shoulder. The nobles who knew her face greeted her quietly, and the ones who didn't realize her identity ignored her. Harry was fine whether they greeted her or not. It didn't particularly bother her.

As she walked past all the other couples, she couldn't help but see Varian in all the men, but she couldn't picture herself as the woman beside him. She eventually found Terrance sitting in the VIP section. He had really gone all out for her.

Sitting in his expensive suit with his hair fixed neatly, holding a menu in his hand was her date. He hadn't noticed her until she had walked all the way over to his side.

"Hello," she said awkwardly.

"Oh, Princess!" he called surprised. "I'm so sorry I didn't see you."

"It's okay," Harry replied with a small laugh.

Terrance quickly stood up and pulled Harry's chair out for her. Once she was seated, he pushed it in for her too.

"You look stunning," he told her.

"Thank you," she replied as she watched him walk back to his seat. "You do too!"

Harry immediately regretted saying those words. She was certain no boy wanted to be called stunning as a compliment. Why couldn't she have said the word great or nice? Anything would've been better than copying him. She felt her face burning from embarrassment. As Harry fought her inner self, Terrance attempted to talk with her about the menu. After speaking for a couple of seconds and not hearing a response, he got louder and asked, "Are you okay, Princess?"

"Huh?" she asked even louder. Her volume made a few heads turn. "Oh," she said much quieter, "Yes, I'm fine." She looked around at all of the people. It was pretty busy in the little place. "Um," she squeaked.