The Funeral // Part Two

Avoiding Jackie's piercing glare, the three kids and Martin shuffled over to the side door to escape to the shed, prohibiting anymore coffin talk.

"Jim." Jonny frowned as Martin swung open the side door, revealing the odd neighbour, crouching down by the floor, desperately trying to not get too close to Wilson.

"Hello, all!" Jim greeted, looking slightly startled by the family staring him.

"What the hell are you doing there?" Martin scoffed.

"We're just doing walkies, aren't we, Wilson?"

"What, down the side of our house?" Martin continued, looking at the man with discontent.

"Hmm?"

"Jim, we're really quite busy." Jackie huffed.

"Yes, of course. You look nice in black." Jim complimented, looking Jackie up and down in a way that made the woman shuffle uncomfortably, stuttering slightly as the man made an attempt to drag his dog away.

"Come on, Wilson."

Wilson didn't listen to Jim, instead ran inside the kitchen, dragging his owner with him. He resided by Violet's feet, the girl finding a large amount of joy by the fact Wilson really did like her.

She leant down to fuss him, giving him as much attention as she could as Jim started sniffing Jackie and Martin intensely, having already checked her and the boys when he'd seen them earlier.

"Jim? Wh-what are you." Jackie stuttered, leaning away from the man as he continued to get closer to her.

"Just checking for meat?" Jonny sighed.

"Just checking for meat." Jim repeated.

"Meat?" Jackie questioned.

"Yes, Wilson's on a no-meat diet, aren't you, lovely? He's ravenous!"

"Jim, we're kind of going to a funeral today, so.." Adam said, making an attempt to get the man to leave.

"A funeral? Oh, dear. Who died?" Jim questioned.

"My uncle, Jim." Martin explained.

"Oh, your Uncle Jim."

"What?!" Adam asked, confused by the man's stupidity.

"Well, I am sorry, Martin. Where will you be putting the corpse?"

"The corpse?!" Jonny echoed, raising his eyebrows at the Jim.

"The carcass."

"The carcass?!" Violet stated, matching Jonny's dumbfounded expression as the two looked at the neighbour, unsure as to how he thought that was an appropriate question to ask.

"The usual place." Martin said.

"In the mud?"

"The ground." Adam corrected.

"Ground." Jim agreed.

"He's being buried at the cemetery." Jackie explained.

"Yes, of course. Is that the normal one or the Jewish one?"

"The Jewish one." Jackie iterated.

"Ah! Shalom!" Jim grinned.

"Shalom." The boys and Violet responded, bowing at him.

"Well, thanks, Jim. I have to finish my speech, so..." Martin stated, trying to find a way to leave.

"Ah! A speech! To be or not to be, that is the question. A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a Romeo! Romeo! Is this a dagger which I Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your..." Jim performed, getting cut off by an angry Val.