1 | dirty little secret

harper's pov

"open up the door billie!" i groan on the front step of her giant house. "i know you're home."

billie and i have known each other since we were kids. but i first became friends with finneas. my mom had me a couple years after finneas was born, making us fast friends throughout our childhood.

the door opens suddenly and i see billie. her hair is dyed black and she has a dirty white tank top on. she doesn't have any makeup on and she has dirt splotches all on her body. i forget what she looked like last time i saw her.

"hey harper, come in." she gestures for me to come inside.

"why are you dirty?" i ask her, moving my heavy suitcase inside.

"cus i just got back from planting vegetables." she responds, dryly.

i don't know what has been with her, but i think since i graduated high school, she has been very distant.

"oh, alright." i pause and look at her outfit. "where's my room?"

"oh, um, about that..." she trails off.

i had been kicked out of my boyfriend's apartment because i told him i didn't want to have sex with him. just awesome. he was also a major homophobe and transphobe. i'm sort of happy things ended.

"i have two guest bedrooms and they're both being used for storage since i needed my living room and stuff to be cleared out." she stares at my somewhat shocked face.

i think i'm allowed to be shocked. i am not about to sleep on her damn couch.

"you'll be sleeping in my room. i haven't cleaned my sheets but i can if you want to." she says.

that's better.

"but where are you going to sleep?" i ask curiously.

i don't have a problem sleeping in the same bed as her. when we were young, like around 14 or 15, we'd have sleepovers a ton. i couldn't really sleep around finneas for obvious reasons, but me and billie used to cuddle and she'd be my little spoon. it was our dirty little secret.

and for the record, i'm 5'8.

"fuck, i did not think about that." she bites her lip and looks at the ground. "i'll just sleep on the couch." she says flatly.

*quick a/n, i am not looking up what billie's room looks like.

she motions me to go up the stairs with her and soon we're in her room. it's well decorated with black curtains, led lights, a night stand with a lamp, a desk, etc etc. her bed sheets match the maroon walls. she has a few posters around her wall, including some pictures around them. i'll snoop later.

"i wanna tell you that i really appreciate you for letting me stay here. i will help with chores and whatever you need." i say, setting my suitcase on her (our??) bed.

"no, don't worry about it! i just want you to make your famous pasta." she winks at me. "i also want to make up for all the years i was... avoiding you for."

i'm 23 right now, she's 22... meaning she's been practically avoiding me for 5 years. holy shit.

"yeah, why did you avoid me?" i raise and eyebrow and smirk.

"let's just say i was really testing sexuality boundaries back then." she quickly says.

i know what she means. she was straight back then, but she only recently came out. while she was you know, straight straight, we did things that made us look like a lesbian couple. we were just very affectionate, that's all.