5 | the bolter

(a/n: this is the night of may 14th and may 15th)

billie's pov

"where the fuck could she have gone, finneas?" i yell through the phone.

"shit, i really don't know." he says, worried.

"she blocked my number, did she block yours?" i ask him.

"i texted her asking where she was and she just said 'don't worry about it!'" he pauses. "i really only feel like she would've gone home."

"what, to her ex's house?" i am so confused.

"no, to her dad's place." he says flatly, ignoring the fact i forgot her parents were divorced. "he lives in vermont. i remember when we were younger, she would go up there whenever her mom pissed her off. she'd be there for at least two weeks."

"fuck. i forgot about that." i rub my temple.

"billie, she's safe." he says it like he knows it. what if she got kidnapped when she had left?

"you don't know that." i whisper, my voice cracking some.

"when was she never not safe?" he asks.

"um, when she fell off the roof of our house, when she broke her leg, got in a fight with a girl at school..." i go on naming different times she got herself in some sort of dangerous situation.

"okay, shut up." he laughs. "i gotta go, billie"

"alright, bye, love you."

"love you too." he hangs up.

***

harper's pov

where am i? my ex's house.

did i sleep with him? yes.

is he as good as billie? not even close.

"morning, babe." garrett kisses my forehead, getting up out of the bed. he struts towards the bathroom in only his boxers.

garrett plays wide receiver for the los angeles rams, an nfl team. i met him in college and we hit it right off at a party. i was studying business since i had planned to make my own business, but garrett crushed it when he practically implied i was going to be a housewife. whatever.

garrett was raised in an abusive household with a very homophobic and transphobic father. once a person that rented the house next to them put a pride flag on their porch and his father tore it down and threatened to kill them. so, naturally, garrett took on that. but he never laid his hands on me.

garrett is about... 6'5. he's your stereotypical white boy with dirty blonde hair. but god, he can seduce any girl that's straight. but anyways, after being a damn housewife for 2 years, we broke up and i moved out. so, last night i texted him asking if i could stay at his place, which he happily obliged. then, he got me drunk and we had sex. yes, it was consensual. 

"garrett, what time is it?" i ask him.

"uhh..." he checks his phone. "it's 9 am, why?"

"shit, i told you this already, i'm going up to vermont. i have a flight at 12 pm." i sigh, getting dressed. i happened to be wearing billie's sweats and shirt, which she wore at a concert once.

"babe, i'll drive you." he says, pulling some jeans up on himself and a wife beater (or pleaser, if you like the sound of that better). 

"thanks." i say, kissing his cheek and leaving the bedroom.

***

i make it to the airport, and for whatever reason, there was paparazzi. not for garrett though.

weird.

i find my flight and it's now around 10:30 am as i board. luckily the paparazzi isn't around anymore but i hear some people murmuring about a celebrity boarding a plane.

***

billie's pov

i arrive in vermont hopefully before harper. why am i in vermont you may be asking? 

i'm close with harper's brother, ryder. he reached out to me recently and asked for me to come to their dad's wedding. their dad doesn't like me much, but i don't mind. 

ryder is 19 and plays college baseball. he is a god at it. he and harper look like twins even though she's older. he is incredibly nice so i always feel bad when i forget to text him back.

anyways, i found out what hotel harper was staying at and booked the room right next to her. chances are, i'll see her.

i ordered an uber and soon we pulled into the hotel's parking lot. i checked in and found my room, which was on the 3rd floor. i unpacked all my necessities and decided to take a shower. the paparazzi had me running.

there's already an article on how they saw me board a plane going straight to vermont. travelling the entire country sucks, but i need to see harper. i hate 8-9 flights. like really really hate.

i finished up my shower and walked out of the bathroom, drying myself off. there was a mirror on the floor and i instantly just...

***

harper's pov

i woke up from my nap to some girl moaning in the room next door. i angrily got out of bed, opened my hotel's door, and stormed down the hall. i knocked on her door and yelled at her to quiet down before heading back to my room. 

i barely had time to get to my door when the other room's door flew open.

"billie?" i ask, studying her face. she was in just a tank top and a pair of underwear. 

"babydoll?" she asks innocently. almost too innocently.

"um, what are you doing here?" i interrogate her awkwardly.

she swallows. "i-i have a concert. a surprise one."

"oh. ok." i say simply, still staring at her body. i slightly bite my lip and i see her bite her tongue.

"can we talk?" she murmurs quietly. 

"i guess." i walk closer to her. "about what?"

"just..." she looks around in the hall to see a family coming down. she pulls me into her room and pins me up against the wall and kisses me.

kisses me.

"fuck!" she yells, getting off me and walking towards the bed, sitting down on the edge of it. "i'm sorry. i should've asked." she throws her head back so now she's laying down.

i sit down next to her, rubbing her hand slightly. "i told my friends about what happened." i gulp, my mouth is suddenly dry. "they called me the bolter." 

billie chuckles next to me. "well, babydoll, you did run away from me."

---

i feel like this took a long time to write and i apologize! i literally have a wedding to attend on the 17th and i am so busy with it and my school year is coming to a close. i'm gonna try to write another chapter tonight and then take like a weekend break. 

i hope everyone is excited for the new album dropping on the 17th!

1068 words

jaelzver - may 11th 2024

thank u so much for making it to the end of this chapter! please leave feedback, follow me, or vote for the chapter! i really appreciate it. 🩷