And We Were Complete

A new member of the family arrives.

It was a little past midnight by the time Manolo got home. He and the mariachi brothers were performing at a bar and he was exhausted. He stepped into his bedroom as quietly as he could. Maria slowly opened her eyes and saw her husband, “Oh, your back. Sorry, I tried to stay up, but-”

“No, no, I don't expect you to stay up for me all the time.” Manolo whispered, softly pecking her lips, “Sorry for waking you up.”

“Long show, huh?”

Manolo changed into his pajamas, “Yeah. We couldn't leave until everyone else did.”

“You must've been there for hours, then.” Maria looked at Manolo over her shoulder as he crawled into bed, “Oh, and before I forget, I think I might be pregnant again.”

“Really?” He yawned. 

“Mhm. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but I'm almost sure of it.”

“Mm, that's great, sweetie. Buenas noches.”

“Goodnight.”

As Manolo was succumbing to sleep, what Maria said ran through his head. When it finally clicked, his eyes snapped open and he turned to his wife, “What?” She grinned at his reaction.

...

A few days later, Maria invited the general over for dinner, saying she had special news. Everyone was seated at the dining table that evening.

“So, mija, did you want to tell me?” The general asked.

Maria looked at Manolo who smiled and nodded. She took his hand and said, “Papa… I'm pregnant.”

The general nearly spat out his drink, “Are you serious?” She and Manolo nodded, “Ay, Maria, I'm so happy for you both. And who knows? This may be the chance for a grandson.”

Maria tried not to roll her eyes. She was hoping for a boy, but she wasn't about to say it to her father who had insisted for a grandson for ages. Besides, she'd be fine if she had another girl.

“Have you guys thought of any names yet?” Joaquin asked.

“I think Angelica is a pretty name.” Celina said. “I like Sofia.” Cecilia said. 

“We'll keep those in mind, corazones.” Manolo chuckled.

“Well, you're more than welcome to use my name for a boy.” The general said, “I couldn't think of a more-”

“Uh, Papa.” Maria said, “For a boy, we're actually thinking of Carlos.”

The general blinked, “After your father?” Manolo nodded, “You mean you never considered my name?”

“General, please understand.” Manolo said, “If I could use my father's name-”

“And what's stopping you from using mine?”

“Papa, I'm still a Posada and so are your grandchildren.” Maria said.

“That's not the same.”

Maria stood up from her seat as she felt her blood pressure rise, “Girls, bed, now. We need to talk to your grandfather.”

Joaquin and Manolo shared a nervous look as Joaquin escorted the girls out of the dining room, taking their plates. Celina and Cecilia ate in the living room while their parents argued with their grandfather.

“Why is Abuelo so upset?” Celina asked. 

“I'm not sure.” Joaquin said, “I never thought he'd get so worked up over the name.”