Chapter 36

You stood against the cold bars of the jail cell, banging your head lightly in frustration. Once a detective, now a criminal. Ethan had left ages ago, leaving you with instructions to get your lawyer and fight in court if you believed you were set up. He promised to tell your brother about the set up. He after all was sent to help you out of this mess. But you weren't worried. You had alibis, several of them. The case would be closed as soon as they were brought forward. So, you used your one call for Subaru.

As Subaru and the others approached, you felt a glimmer of hope amidst the chaos. If they told the truth, you would be out of this rotten prison soon. Subaru's silver hair came into view through the jail cell, followed closely by the others.

Just let me get out. I will free myself of all this

You reached the cell door as Subaru approached, looking him straight in the eyes. "Please, Subaru, tell them the truth," you pleaded, your voice barely above a whisper. Subaru nodded firmly. "I will say nothing but the truth," he assured you.

Takumi grimaced at Subaru's words, and Akira shot him an irritated look. Takumi immediately looked down at the ground, unable to meet your gaze. Kazuto couldn't bring himself to look at you either, his eyes filled with guilt. Yukio's expression was one of deep sadness, which broke your heart even further. Only Hikaru's expression remained stoic, his smile was gone.

You only wondered what made his lose his smile like that. But somehow you were comforted by the fact they all came to support you. They all believe this is was false.

As you sat on the ground, waiting in the dimly lit cell, the sound of footsteps echoed in the hallway, accompanied by the jangling of keys. Then, suddenly, a bright light blinded you as the cell door swung open. A hand reached out, and you grasped it, allowing yourself to be pulled out into the light.

Subaru wrapped you in a tight hug, holding you close for a few moments before Akira coughed lightly, causing Subaru to release you slightly. You blinked, adjusting to the sudden brightness as you looked up at them, relief flooding through you at their presence.

"What did you tell them.?" you asked curiously, looking at the group.

Takumi fidgeted with his dolphin keychain, about to speak, but Subaru cut him off swiftly. "Only the truth."

Akira rolled his eyes. "Yes, yes, because Mr. Subaru here is the epitome of justice," he remarked sarcastically.

Yukio sighed at Akira's comment while Subaru shot him a look. Hikaru immediately hugged you tight and kissed your cheek, prompting Yukio to pull him back.

Subaru finally intervened, telling everyone to calm down, assuring you that you were safe now.

Subaru put you in the front seat while he sat in the driver's seat, with everyone else in the back. Akira and Yukio sat in the middle seat, while Kazuto, Hikaru, and Takumi squeezed into the back.

"Where are we going?" you asked as you saw the car nearing the school. You couldn't face people there right now.

"To the dorm room," Subaru replied. "Your house was trashed. I don't feel right letting you spend the night there."

"I have a cousin in the next town. I'll go there. Plus, Ethan must have informed my older brother. He'll be coming for me," you said.