Chapter Seven

KHUMO

Today I decided to hang out with my sister since it's been a while since we spoke. She's been busy with work and I've been busy preparing for the Gala dinner that's happening in a couple of days.

"Are this heels okay." Tsholo asked.

"Hmm." I said

"I said are this heels okay." She repeated.

I blinked as the rest of surroundings came into sharp focus.

"Sorry." I released the heel with sigh. "I'm not in the mood today.

"Really I can't tell." Tsholo's teasing smile faded when I didn't return it. "kajeno ga o wena motho wa gago wa ka mehla, bothata ke eng?"

Tsholo loved spending time with me and love it too and I feel so bad because I'm not feeling it today.

"I just have a lot on my mind."

I wanted to tell her that I've been feeling alone, my altercation with sanele. But I didn't want to burden her.

"We almost done." I added. "Now I just need to find the perfect gift for my husband."

"I can't believe he gave you card does he think you can't afford all of this." She shuddered. "Thought he hated you."

"Well he didn't actually give me his card his brother did and yes we hate each."

"That's worse."

I laughed. "Well what better way to piss him off then to spend his money." Again.

Her face lit up. "Now that sounds like a great plan with bad consequences." She trailed off as she stared over my shoulder. "Um khumo."

"Yep." I spotted this cute heels that will go perfectly with the dress I'll be wearing to the Gala dinner/ my engagement party.

"O ka batla ho sheba ka morao ho yena." A strange not dampened her voice like she just saw a ghost or something.

I turned around to see what Tsholo was staring at me. Then I noticed the person behind me.

He's here looking at me with the same eyes I haven't seen in years.

"Hello." Mpho let out a smile laugh. "It's good to finally see you after so long."

I gave him a half-smile due to the shock. "It's good to see you too."

After I finally got over my shock and tsholo excused herself saying something about a emergency at work.

Mpho and I went to a little cute cafe.

It was like old times so surreal.

"Are you here on vacation or business?" I asked.

After we broke up mpho moved he started a business he even made it to Forbes under 30.

Yes I was stalking him until I got over him.

"Business, I have a important meeting right before the gala dinner." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I would've called but-"

"I'm engaged." I Blurted out.

"Wow," Mpho cleared his cleared. "He's a lucky guy."

"He sure is." I mumbled. "So how's work going." I asked having nothing better to ask.

"Work is going good but stress, so how's being a surgeon going."

"Good but I took a break."

Mpho and I stared at each other awkwardly before his gaze dropped to my finger.

"Thought you said you were engaged?"

Shit I forgot that I don't have my engagement ring yet.

"I am engaged, just waiting for my new ring." I said softly.

"Well I guess congratulations are inorder." He tipped the back of his head and blew a long breath. "So who's the lucky dude."

I don't know how to tell him that I'm getting married to the enemy of my family. Before we broke up mpho knew everything about me expect my father's illegal activities but that's not the point the point is he knows about the bad blood between us and the Ndlovus.

"Sanele Ndlovu." I said nervously unsure how his going to take the news but either way his opinion is not really needed.

His eyes narrowed. The unease in my stomach swirled faster as realization drawn slow and horrified across his face.

"Are you serious." Frustration seeped into his voice. "Your going to marry into the very same family that caused you nothing but pain."

"It's not like my family is perfect either." I said, strangely defending sanele and his family in a way.

"Do you actually love this guy?" He gazed at like he's trying to figure me out.

"More than anything in this world." I replied vaguely, my insides twisted with frustration.

He leaned forward, his expression intense. "You don't have to marry him Khumo."

Does he actually think that it's that easy. If it was I wouldn't have put up with this shit for this long but apart from that did he really think I would cut my engagement for him after not seeing him for years.

"Mpho-"

"I mean it we can start our lives together, build a future we always wanted." His eyes softened.

"Mpho that was years ago now things have changed I'm about to be a wife to the man I love." I said. "Sorry but I'm not ending my engagement." I said quietly.

Another pang to my chest after that confession.

I know my relationship with Sanele is nothing but a business transaction, but I would never disrespect him or his family like that and that was the promise I made when I accepted this marriage.

"You should leave." I said. "I'm sure you have a lot of things before attending the matter that bought you this side."

"Right." He pushed his chair back and stood. His bitter expression returned but his voice was soft. "It was good to see you Khumo, hope to see you soon."

I watched him walk out of the cafe, my heart heavy my mind is all over the place but one thing I know is that what I just did needed to be done.

As overbearing as it in the real world I had duties and obligations to fulfill. No matter how much of an asshole Sanele is I had to make my marriage work one way or another.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Double update

An ex from the past isn't that a coincidence

Mandlovu stood her ground

Just a few days left before the gala dinner and the engagement announcement

Tik Tok Tik Tok

Count down to the Gala dinner:

3 days left