15|Into the Abyss

Hostage – Billie Eilish

Miyeon ripped herself out of his grasp and ran down the hallway

Miyeon ripped herself out of his grasp and ran down the hallway. She dug through the shopping bags until she found her purse. She answered the call on the last ring.

“Jaemin? Is she okay?”

“She’s going to have the baby now. Get here,” he barked and hung up.

Miyeon didn’t grab her purse or shopping bags. She ran to the elevator and smacked her hand on the button before she realized it wasn’t working.

“Haechan!” she roared.

“What’s going on?” he asked so close behind her that she jumped.

“Isaa’s having the baby. I need to be there now! Call the damn elevator.”

He keyed some numbers into the keypad as he spoke into his phone, “Bring the car around.”

Miyeon boarded the elevator and then texted Yoori as they traveled down. Yoori was also on her way and had left the kids with a nanny. Renjun was still out of the country. This time, when she walked through the lobby, she didn’t care who saw her. All she cared about was getting there in time. God, it was still too soon…

Hendery sat behind the wheel of an SUV this time. She rushed toward the open passenger window and gave the address before she climbed into the back seat. When Haechan got in, Miyeon stared at him.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m coming.”

“No, the fuck you’re not.” He leaned forward and tapped the tinted glass partition dividing the front from the back. Hendery pulled away from the curb.

“We lay the groundwork now,” Haechan said as he typed on his phone. “The paparazzi shots will help our story.”

“I didn’t agree!”

“You will. You’ll do anything for your family.”

She couldn’t believe his self-assuredness. “The only reason I’m even thinking of your stupid deal is because of Isabella. She went into premature labor yesterday because of stress, because of you! She’s so damn worried about the company that she’s putting her and the baby’s life in danger. If it wasn’t for that, I’d tell you to fuck yourself.”

His eyes narrowed. “That stress comes from being a CEO, not just from me.”

“But you initiated the takeover and then refused to speak to her. What did you think would happen?”

“It’s not my job to worry about the opposition. Everyone knows your sister hasn’t been putting her best foot forward lately. She’s been losing steadily enough that word’s gone around.”

Miyeon slashed her hand through the air. “You can’t barge in at a time like this. This is real life. This is my family.”

He grabbed her hand. “We present a united front, Miyeon.”