16|Midnight Musing

Delicate – Taylor Swift

When they reached the estate, Miyeon left Haechan in the car

When they reached the estate, Miyeon left Haechan in the car. She lost count of how many calls he’d taken. How he managed to retain all that information without jotting down a single thing was a mystery.

Her hands trembled as she packed a suitcase. This isn’t the end of the world, Miyeon told herself. This was temporary, not a big deal. After she lugged her suitcase downstairs, she entered the library. She averted her face as she passed her father’s desk.

She could imagine his fury if he knew she was breaking her promise to him. Not only had she laid eyes on Haechan, but she had also slept with him, and now she was legally binding herself to him once more. Haechan was right. Her father was probably turning in his grave, but what choice did she have?

Miyeon was at her desk when Haechan entered the library. Seeing him cross the threshold into the sanctuary she’d shared with her father felt as if he was desecrating holy ground.

“I’m almost finished,” Miyeon said curtly.

Haechan ignored her and looked around. The way he was sizing up the place got her back up. She could imagine him tallying up what he could get for the estate. There was no way in hell he would ever get his hands on her castle. She would make sure the prenuptial agreement protected her assets.

He walked toward the massive windows and stared at Gangnam Lake. She finished packing the last of her notebooks and favorite pens.

“I’m ready.”

When Haechan didn’t move, she checked the end tables to see if she had left anything there. Saebom had obviously been by to clean since the used tissues and water bottles were gone.

“This isn’t what I expected,” Haechan said.

Miyeon wasn’t sure what he meant by that. “It’s home,” she said simply.

He nodded. “I can see that.”

Some of the tension eased out of her. “It’s a special place.”

“We should have the ceremony here.”

Miyeon stiffened. “No.”

“Why not?”

“Because.” After they divorced, she would come back here. She didn’t want it cluttered with thoughts of him or their fake wedding.

“Why?” Haechan pushed.

“I’m sure we can find somewhere in the city,” she said.

He examined her for a long moment. “You don’t like me in your space, do you?” Obviously.

The corner of Haechan’s mouth curved. “Too fucking bad, princess.” Miyeon let out a growl when he kissed her forehead and slung her laptop bag over his shoulder.