Chapter Twenty Two

Was it determination? It has to right? It was the determination to go back home, to the people you loved that made you train harder and harder? It wasn't easy if they thought about it, to be in a completely different country and with no familiar faces. Just strangers, strangers that now you've gotten to know of course. 

However, it wasn't the same. It wasn't the same. It wasn't the same being around places you know, and the people you know and love. There was a certain comfort to it.

Usually, some students find it better to move out once they settle on a good road. Like going to school, tent a place and even finding a time job. It didn't apply to everyone of course, but some did this. Specifically, if they're offered free education it wouldn't be hard for you to find a job considered ingredient the skills you possess. Either way, looking at it this way, you would benefit more if you remained here. But it wasn't what you were looking for.

You wanted to go home, and badly that's why you've adapted so quickly here and that's why you were determined to be able to control your emotions as gas as possible.  Once time was gone you wouldn't get it back, and you wanted to spend as much time close to your parents as you could.

Life didn't wait for anyone, and you knew once you were older you would be busy with work or even with studies. Time flies, and people get old and even die. It seemed you were well aware of this, and that's why you've taken moments of even your free time to meditate.

Having full control of your emotions was the first and most efficient way to control your curse energy. In just a couple of months, you've grown to be very good at meditation. And Shōko could see it even in your posture, you were far more relaxed, and things that would bring out a negative emotion didn't have that big of an effect on you.

Of course, she eventually left you alone to meditate after the first couple of weeks. She would leave you and you were at peace, once you were getting better at it she added things that had the potential of disturbing you. Like having sounds that would disrupt your meditation, and then slowly she increased those things. To eventually have students train close by, where they are loud enough to disrupt your meditation. You struggled, she noticed but you pushed through.

Now though, it was time to increment physical training. She read in your profile that you knew martial arts, though you must be rusty at it.

Shōko watched, but she watched from afar. Now it was Nanami's turn to take over. She isn't the only spectator, no, other students are watching as well.

Today, however, the sparring goal is different. Normally it would be advised to use curse energy, but today it's the opposite.  Today's goal is to battle but their goal is to refrain from using any curse energy.

Nanami had chosen well, he had chosen none other than Maki as your sparring partner. Both of you looked calm and focused. Once the rules are given, you both bow to each other and then you both are instructed to fight.

You don't fight right away, you take a step back and take the offensive.  Waiting for Maki to take the first move and when she does all you do is block her attacks. Perhaps you're studying her fighting style, though Maki doesn't give much time to study. Her attacks are quick and decisive, and you block.

The more you block the more you realize that you have to attack back. It is now time for you to attack and when you do, they're sharp and aimed with precision, Maki blocks and swift attack back as well.

The gym is filled with the shuffle of feet and sharp exhalations. Each fighter fully focused and emerged in the battle. You channel your attacks into more powerful and controlled attacks. Maki adapts and matches your attacks.

They are both able to keep up, but as the battle continues [Name]'s control of her curse energy is visible, they can see the internal struggle as she tries to keep her control. But it seems she fails as her curse never leaks just slightly in small unintentional bursts. She stands back, closes her eyes, and takes deep breaths. There is a frown on her face, with sweat trailing down her temple, fighting to remain calm.

Maki however takes advantage, and as [Name] tries to regain her control, Maki's blows land. As she hits the trike, and like ripples in the water, [Name]'s curse energy flares in response. The pain is a catalyst,  igniting a primal instinct to fight back with unbridled power. She stumbles, catches herself, and grits her teeth as she reminds herself that she has to keep control.

The battle continues, and it's evident with each blow that you're losing it. The observers watch with anticipation and it seems some even hold their breath as Maki continues with the barrage of strikes sending you to the ground while you try you stay in control.

But the barrage of attacks breaks your focus and your control and cursed energy burst forth creating curses. This is where Nanami, Gojo, and Shōko rush forward. Maki stands back while the teachers are quick to fix the problem. As they do, you watch, chest heaving and frustrated with yourself at your failure. 

You shut your eyes and try to stay calm and steer your mind from negative emotions. Once you do, you struggle to stand up, aches adorning your body. When on your feet, you notice the silence, students, and your friends are watching.

Nanami finally walks forward, and judging from your flinch, you expect some sort of scolding. Instead, there's a smile, "You managed to keep your control longer than I even expected. Congratulations." And he moves away as Maki and the others join you.

Maki offers a nod of acknowledgment and perhaps respect. You hear a few, "That was amazing", and "You did great" from your friends.

Some even pat you on the back, making you flinch in pain but you laugh it off. Despite your loss, you laugh as they continue to say encouraging things. And as they do, you can't help but think that tou have been lucky to have such good friends in your life.