prologue

On 6th December 2023, I was going through my university's anonymous confessions telegram group when I stumbled upon someone, requesting for book recommendations. As a fellow book reader myself, I suggested Heartless by Marissa Meyers, my latest read. Following this, someone recommended Percy Jackson. What a classic!

She dropped her bookstagram username.

I immediately searched it up, and turns out he was a guy. How cool to have someone in my university who also likes reading and has a bookstagram account!

Hold on..

He's from my faculty. He's a Mathematics major. He's from my batch.

He's cute.

Okay, maybe it'd be nice to admire someone. My life needs some spicy anyway. I've been avoiding any romantic interest for the past 3 years. How bad could a small crush be?

Ding!

He followed me back.

___________________________________

Naked truth? I didn't fall in love with him immediately. Joining our Arts Club Theatre was never apart of my plan. I barely have any acting or arts skills and yet here i am, dragged into this mess of a prop team led by a first year.

I was running late on our first day of practice when a girl texted me, asking if I was coming or not. Her name was Anna. She was also apart of the prop team.

Anna was nice. She was smart and dedicated and we got along pretty quickly. Even more quickly when my roommate found out that she was also a mathematics major. It seemed like she was Alex's classmate.

Speaking of Alex, nothing much happened over the few weeks. We had a few short conversations. I found out he was a dean's lister when he was invited to attend an awards ceremony with me. That was the first time we've ever crossed paths in person. And yet, not a single Hi or Hello. Well, he did dm me a congrats wish but that was all.

My roommate tried to dig some information about Alex from Anna. I found out that he was three years older than me, studied in Germany for a few years, enjoyed long distance running and was very quiet. He had a car and enjoyed his own solitude, isolating himself from everyone else.

Everything I've learnt about Alex was from Anna. And although this started merely as a silly crush, it slowly started to feel a little more than that.

And hence, I wrote my first letter.