Chapter 1

Feathers opened his eyes as a small yawn escaped his jaws. His blue eyes narrowed as he looked at the rising sun. "Alright. Time to go bring some food back," He mumbled to himself. The blue-gray tabby cat stretched before he leaped off of a small ledge and began to trot to a small group of buildings.

After a few minutes or so, Feathers stopped at a structure that smelled of fish. He jumped up to the window and slid under it. The feline sniffed the air and navigated through the house to find where the smell was coming from. Then, on the table, he spotted a big tuna fish just lying there. The human who owned the house walked away from the table, talking to someone on the weird phone device that people used.

*Perfect, a golden opportunity,* Feathers thought with a smile as he jumped down from the window and onto the table. He grabbed the fish in his mouth before walking out happily as the weight of it was making his head sag a bit. All was going perfectly well for the small cat until the man who owned the house turned to see him.

"You dirty rotten feline! Taking food from me just like the others!" The person ran off to go grab a knife that he had used to take the scales off of the fish. "Alright. Drop it, or I'll eat tuna and cat for dinner!" He ordered firmly.

Feather's eyes widened as he looked at the man holding the knife. *Haha, to me I should not be able to understand you.* He thought as he pushed his worries away and purred quietly. He held his head high with slight difficulty and then ran as fast as he could, making sharp turns and quick jumps to get back up to the window.

Feathers slid out of the window he had come in through and began his run back as he felt very pleased with himself.

After a while, he dropped the fish on the ground and looked up to the small ledge where he had spent the night. "Silver! Tetra! I got fish!"

Two gray-toned cats jumped off different ledges somewhat near the middle ledge. One was a black colored tom with a yellow eye and a blue eye. The other cat was a silver molly with green eyes.

"Wow! Good one! I'm glad the human saved us the hassle of taking all the scales off," Tetra complimented smiling. "Starling would've been so proud of you, Feathers," the black cat continued to look at the ground with a long sigh.

"I wish your brother would be here too to share my first fish with us," Feathers replied, closing his eyes and sitting down next to Tetra. He stroked the black cat's back with his tail to comfort him, it had only been a few months since Starling had been killed.

Silver joined them in grieving once again. She licked Feathers over and over before starting to speak, "He died an honorable death saving you Feathers. It was the way he would want to go out, saving another cat. Even though he is no longer standing beside us, he will be remembered forever."

After a while, they all started to eat the tuna fish that Feathers had brought back. Not having eaten much for a while, the tuna fish was soon history. The cats finished it in a matter of minutes.

"I need to say something... I know that it took a lot of energy to get to this small little house with friendly people... mostly... and this town full of happy, well-fed cats, but I know I'm breaking my promise that I made to Starling..." Feathers trailed off, thinking carefully about what he wanted to say next. He opened his mouth to continue, "Starling said that he wanted me to save other cats from Lightning, but we are walking away from the problem. We need to go back to the city and save the street cats there."

"Alright, I get where you're coming from, Feathers. But you're still so very young. You barely made the journey here! Besides, where would we stay?" Silver asked, tilting her gray head to the side. The look in her green eyes was questioning.