➻Chapter 53- A Dance Of Deception

(Guys, read chp 52 before this if it hasn't been notified to you. It's a double update!)

THIRD PERSON POV:

David Scott descended the stairs with measured steps, the faint click of his watch clasp echoing in the hallway. Catching sight of his daughter, Isabelle, nestled on the couch, he called out, "Isabelle!"

Isabelle glanced up from the book she was reading and exhaled audibly. "Yes, Dad?"

"I heard your brother is returning tonight. Do you know when he'll arrive?"

Isabelle's eyes rolled heavenward, a silent plea for her father to keep away from his persistent interrogations about her brother. "He's your son too, Dad. But to answer your question, I don't know. Unlike you, I don't keep tabs on his whereabouts."

Furrowing his brows and flaring his nostrils, David's frustration simmered beneath the surface. "Are you adopting your brother's tone with me now? Is that how you address your father?"

"Could you please relax, Dad?" Isabelle implored, recognizing the familiar drop into conversation, like always. "Did you get your answer? I don't know when he'll be back."

"But I do," David ground out through clenched teeth, a sense of agitation tightening his features. "He's due back tonight. Call him and request that he stay over somewhere else for the night."

"Why on earth would you say that?" Isabelle protested.

"Because I'll be here tonight. I don't want any unnecessary drama," David snapped, his frustration evident. "He's already struggling, mentally. For his sake, ask him to find alternate arrangements. He's used to avoiding home when I'm around, isn't he? Better inform him beforehand."

"He avoids it because of you, Dad!" Isabelle's voice rose with indignation. "You've caused him so much anguish. Can't you see that?"

"Enough, Isabelle," David sighed wearily, a pang of regret tugging at his heart. A lump formed in his throat due to the familiar hurt he felt at the way he treated his children. Sighing, he rolled his eyes away from her, avoiding anything he felt, "I'm saying this for his own good. Call him. Now."

Isabelle met her father's gaze, emotions swirling within her, before reluctantly reaching for her phone to dial her brother.

A few rings later, Tyler's voice crackled through the line. "Isabelle? Everything alright?"

"Tyler, yes, everything's fine," Isabelle replied, stealing a glance at her father who remained aloof. "When will you be back?"

"Probably another 30 minutes or so," Tyler responded, the hum of the road audible in the background. "Everyone's asleep."

"That's good to hear. I hope your trip was enjoyable."

"It was. Can we catch up when I get home? It's a bit busy on the road right now."

"Wait," Isabelle interjected, her resolve strengthening as she glanced at her father's stoic profile. "Dad's home tonight."

Tyler's silence spoke volumes, a heavy sigh conveying his understanding.

"I'll stay at the chalet," Tyler eventually muttered, deadpan.

Isabelle sighed in relief. "Take care, Tyler. And please, let me know when you arrive."

"I will, Isa. And try to avoid Dad, alright? I don't want him causing you any trouble."

"Don't worry, Tyler. Just come back safely."

"I'll see you soon, Isa."

"Take care, Ty."

ADELE'S POV