➻Chapter 17 - Was That Jealousy?

TYLER'S POV:

Despite my confusion about why Isabelle and Jake were behaving like strangers, I refrained from questioning them. It wasn't that I didn't care about my sister; after all, I prided myself on being a great older brother. It was just that... well, maybe Isabelle's long absence had led to this awkwardness between them.

It was a plausible explanation, at least I hoped so. What else could it be?

My musings were interrupted by the ringing of my cell phone. Jake had already left, likely put off by Isabelle's curt responses to his thoughtful gift.

Poor guy.

I quickly grabbed my cellphone, anticipating Dad's call, dreading the inevitable scolding for being late.

"It's Dad. Are you ready? We need to go, Isa!" I grumbled, noticing Isabelle still fixated on the gift from Jake. Seriously, what was she staring at? It wasn't a bomb!

Isabelle looked up at me, nodding in response to my complaint.

"Obviously I'm ready, what's the holdup?" She rolled her eyes, marching past me towards the parking lot, prompting me to sigh in frustration and slap my forehead. I was so over her attitude!

Taking a deep breath, I followed her to the car, enduring our parents' disapproving glares the entire ride to the restaurant. Being the older sibling was tough enough, but getting blamed for your younger sibling's antics was even worse. I silently regretted not driving my own car and escaping to the restaurant in peace.

Upon our arrival at the spacious and contemporary restaurant, we settled at a large table in the corner, a spot I suspected Dad had already reserved.

As we placed our orders and waited, Isabelle remained unaware of the surprise my parents, well, mainly my mom, had in store for her. A two-tiered red velvet cake, her absolute favorite, sat hidden away, a secret I had been privy to. Dad's mere presence was a rare occurrence, making this birthday already special.

Despite my guilt for not planning anything for her, it wasn't due to lack of desire. I simply didn't know where to start and figured I'd enlist Nicole's help later. Meanwhile, anticipation built as I awaited Isabelle's reaction to her beloved cake, even though her encounter with Jake had left her visibly unsettled.

As we awaited our orders, I leaned back in my chair, idly twiddling my knuckles as I surveyed the restaurant. It was a trendy spot, and my eyes landed on a couple enjoying a pizza, instantly sparking memories of spicy slices and Adele.

Unbelievably, thoughts of her flooded my mind, replaying the events of today—the laughter, her boundless energy, and more. I hadn't even realized I was grinning like a fool until Isabelle tapped my shoulder, her expression questioning.

"You alright?" Isabelle asked, raising an eyebrow, and I quickly nodded, licking my lips nervously. Holy shit.

"Yeah, yeah, of course."

My response came out hurriedly, and Isabelle chuckled knowingly before nodding. Gosh, I needed help. Thinking about Adele had me smiling? What on earth!

After what felt like ages, the waiter finally arrived with the decadent cake. As he placed it before Isabelle, her face lit up like a child's on Christmas morning.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ISABELLE!" We cheered, popping party poppers along with some of the waitstaff, eliciting a delighted cry from Isabelle.

"It's red velvet!" Isabelle exclaimed, her hands clasped together, eyes shimmering with tears of joy. "Oh my god. Thank you so much! I'm so grateful."