Chapter 36: The Debate

(Two weeks later)

(Upstate New York)

Y/N's P.O.V

It's been two weeks since what happened in Lagos and that incident has caused the Avengers reputation to decline.

Wanda has been taking this harder than anyone.

I head to her room to check in on her.

I stand at the entrance and see Wanda sitting on her bed watching news reports.

News reporter: What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?

I switch off the TV.

Wanda: It's my fault.

Y/N: It's really not.

Wanda: Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific.

I to sit next to her on the bed.

Y/N: Wanda, you did your best. That's all any of us can do.

I sigh.

Y/N: Steve told me that when it comes to this job we try to save as many people as we can, but that doesn't mean we can save everyone. And if we don't find a way to live with that, then maybe next time nobody gets saved.

Wanda: Yeah. You're right.

She looks at me.

Wanda: Wise words.

I chuckle.

Y/N: I know.

She and I hug.

Just then Vision phases through the wall.

Wanda: Vis, we talk about this.

Vision: Well, the door was open so I assumed... anyway Captain Rogers wanted Mr. L/N to know that Mr. Stark was here.

Y/N: Okay. Thanks, Vision. We'll be right down.

Vision: I'll use the door this time.

Vision walks to the door and turns around.

Vision: Oh and apparently he's brought a guest.

Y/N: Who is it?

Vision: The secretary of the state. Thaddeus Ross.

He then walks out.

I look to Wanda.

Y/N: Come on, let's go.

We both leave the room and go to the meeting, and sit down with secretary Ross.

All of us Avengers are now in the meeting room sitting infront of Secretary Ross.

I'm sat on one side with Steve, Natasha and Rhodes. Sam, Vision and Wanda are sat on the other side.

Ross explains to us how many people now see the Avengers as a threat given how many innocent people have died during the battles in New York, Washington, Sokovia and Lagos.

He also tells us about the Sokovia accords and how where the Avengers are allowed to go will be decided by a UN panel and that the UN will be meeting in Vienna to agree to the accords.

Ross decides leaves so that we can talk it over in private.

Natasha: And if we come to a decision that you don't like?

Ross: Then you retire.

After that he leaves the compound.

Cap sighs.