The Chase!!!

Simon was taking a stroll down the streets of Bloomsbury to clear his head. After speaking with Daphne about his apparent inkling towards Penelope Featherington. He had to be careful. He could not risk it. He had a vow to keep at any cost. Decision made, he informed his aunt that he was to leave the next day. Start a journey wandering the world. All he needed to do was get through the night. Restless with anxiety, the battle between his heart and mind. He decided a walk would be a good idea, if only he knew what was to come ahead.

In the dark alleys of Bloomsbury he caught sight of her. In a heavy cloak covered from head to toe, anyone else would have missed it but he had spent weeks observing her fantasizing about her. So the moment he saw the lock of red hair sticking out of the hood he knew he would have to follow her. To get answers and make sure that she was safe. He saw her go j to o e of the shops then come out a little while later heading towards a hack. What was she doing here? Without a chaperone in the dead of the night. Was she meeting someone? A lover maybe. Riddled with questions he called out.

" Miss?? "

Penelope turned around out of instinct and he saw her beautiful face go pale.
He was a little distance away before he could catch upto her. She vanished into the hack and away from the street.

" What the hell? " Simon cursed himself. He should have been more tactful. Careful not to spook her.
He returned to his mansion riddled with more questions than he could handle. He now had a choice, leave London and forget about everything.. leaving Penelope and the questions unanswered or stay back and get to the bottom of this. What and why a lady of gentle bred family was roaming the streets of Bloomsbury. He knew he would not be at peace till he spoke to her and was assured that she was safe. He would have to extend his stay for another day. One day extended to a week and he still wasn't able to get a hold of her. He did everything except knock on her doorstep that would raise questions. So he did the next best thing attend every and all events, promenades, even visited the Bridgerton house in pretence to see Anthony. The red head either was always surrounded by people or would make some excuse to avoid him completely.

It was the Queen's garden party and here he would finally have a chance or he would surely go crazy. How one woman could make him so obsessed and desperate he would never know.. The only thing he knew was he would have to speak to her one way or the other.

Simon arrived early and patiently waited for her arrival. Two hours in she was nowhere to be seen.
When she finally did the moron Colin Bridgerton was in dialogue with her.
Bloody her he cursed loosing his patience he started walking towards them. He was almost there when he saw her excuse herself heading towards the garden. She looked upset. Why? What did the dumb Bridgerton say to her to cause her to be distraught. Concern and desperation overpowering his rational thinking he followed her to the garden.

It was almost dark. Going in to the maze he found her sitting on a stone bench, shoulders slumped hands covering her facing. He could hear her crying. Why was she crying? He wondered. He silently approached. He could not spook her again. Standing behind her, hand cusped behind him, he did not trust himself at this moment.

"Miss Penelope" He whispered.

Hearing him her body stiffened slowly she raised her head from her hands wiping thr tears away. She stood up.

"Your grace... What.. how are you? " She stammered rising from the bench. She was now facing him, but she did not look up at him.

" Miss! are you alright? You seem distraught. Did someone say anything to you? " Simon asked her. His eyes wondering over her form. She looked fetching in the pink gown with green motifs of leaves sewn in. He could never fault her in anything. The blush on her cheeks on the top of her bosom called out to him to grab her, ravish her there in the garden.

" Oh nothing your grace... I just came to rest.. Was quite exhausted.. I should leave before anyone finds here alone. " Penelope started to leave.

Simon's trance broke, he grabbed her hand before she could escape yet again.

"Oh no you don't! " he tugged at her arm causing her her to swirl and crash into him. Instinctively he locked her in placing on arm on her waist, blocking her from escaping.

"Your grace! " She gasped.

"You have been one difficult woman to track.. Avoiding me at every turn for the last one week. " Simon gritted holding I'm his temper in his voice but at the same time gripped her tighter.

" Your mistaken your grace I wasn't avoiding you.. Please let me go... Before.. " Penelope begged but was  interrupted.

" Fine!!! Then tell me Miss Penelope what were you doing in Bloomsbury in the dead of the night alone without a Chaperone??? " Simon looked into her eyes.

" I.. I was not. '

" Do not lie to me! I am not a fool. I know what I saw and who I saw.. So tell me what we're you doing there? He asked again

Penelope looked up at him with fire in her eyes.

"That's none of your business! " She snapped turning jer face away.

" It very much is!!!" He stated in  authorative tone.
She looked back at him confused.

"Why?? "

Simon went silent.

"What does it matter to you? Anyways I am not your concern so please let me go... If anyone finds us here.... "

" You and your wellbeing is my concern... You.. " Simon was unable to finish his sentence.

Simon Bassett was caught in the depth of the Queen's garden with Penelope in his arms... His hand firmly on her in a lovers embrace witnessed by a group of people. Lady Danbury, Portia Featherington, Anthony and Violet Bridgerton and the Queen herself.

" What is the meaning of this? " The Queen's voice echoed in the garden breaking Simon from his trance.

He was either going to end dead or married. Death would have been easier if  Penelope's life was not in the balance as well.