Chapter 22 (Brian)

I rubbed at the spot between my eyes where a dull ache refused to wane. I had a shit night's sleep, which was nothing new lately, so I often woke bleary-eyed with an empty hole in my gut and a sharpness behind my eyes. Usually, my headache faded after my morning workout and a protein shake, but today, the stubborn bastard decided to hang around.

With a tired sigh, I grabbed my invoice book and flipped it open to a new page. I might as well get a head start on our upcoming jobs. I did keep a digital footprint that my part-time virtual assistant stored away once a week, but I still preferred to note everything down old school.

I started scribbling the material I needed for a new job we were starting next week. It was a straightforward roof replacement we could knock out in less than a week. Thankful that I didn't need to think too hard, I quickly noted down the required materials and priced them accordingly before calculating the man-hours to complete the work. I then snapped a photo before emailing it off to my assistant. Lord knows how he could decipher my chicken scratch, but he always managed to have my books accurate and balanced.

Shutting my book with a thud, I shoved it away in my work bag before running a heavy hand down my face, catching on the two-day-old scruff I couldn't be bothered removing yet. I stared out the small window in my office, not concentrating on anything in particular.

As usual, my distracted thoughts turned to Maria. How could someone I'd only known for a brief time have this much effect on me? To the point where I was sending her two baskets of muffins and a bouquet of flowers. Despite her expressed wishes to be left alone.

Guilt assailed me as I thought of how she would react. I was never one to steamroll someone. When Hannah and I fought, she always stressed that she needed space away from me to stew. I always gave it to her without hesitation. I wasn't one to rehash an argument or crowd her with apologies or platitudes when she made it clear she wanted to be left alone. In fact, I was happy for the space, happy to just let whatever gripes a husband and wife had with each other simmer away until it died out, and we inevitably broke the tension by deciding what we wanted to eat for dinner.

I didn't know how my gifts would go down with Maria. Would she reach out to thank me like I hoped she would? Or would I find a stash of wilted flowers shoved into the trashcan behind her store? I was hoping for the former, but knowing Maria, even as briefly as I had, I would put money on the latter. So why did I do it when she so obviously wanted to be left alone?

Because my mind wouldn't still until I had said my piece to her. The way I treated Maria at Da Vinci's, my mind stalling when she mentioned her celibacy and the burning jealousy I felt when confronted with Logan ate at me.

And then Lissa. Christ, Lissa. I was thankful that nothing had gone further than it had, but I was acutely aware that I would've slept with her if she hadn't had a picture of Maria in her apartment. And pissed away any and all chance of Maria being with me. Not that I thought I had a chance with her now.

A loud knock pulled me from my intrusive thoughts.

"Ah, boss." Harry's haltering voice was low with a warning lilt. His eyes were wide-eyed as if he was trying to convey a secret via telepathy. "You have a -"

"What the fuck do you think you're playing at?"

My mouth dropped open in shock at the sweet, husky voice that had haunted my dreams.

"-visitor," Harry finished superfluously. He stepped into the doorway and stood to the side, allowing a very pissed-off Maria to barrel in after him.

"Maria." I stood, my chair wheeling back at my sudden movement. She had taken option three: tracking me down and storming into my office in a temper. I did not see this coming.