Chapter 29: The Ball

The castle grounds were sleek and clean, almost shining under the sun's intense rays, nothing compared to our gothic style back home. And in MUCH better conditions compared to the entrance of the city. Just by scanning the attire of the nobles that walked around the premises, the servants and maids floating or standing nearby to assist, and the guards and knights in formation confirmed that most of the finances and goods were being withheld from the everyday citizen. The audacity of this king and the high elves. They didn't need a queen to figure out how to regain the health and prosperity of the Elven Kingdom. What they needed was to stop being so selfish and greedy.

We came up with our horses to be greeted by an elf dressed in a fancy dark maroon robe with an emblem resting on her right chest. It was silver and adorned with blue diamonds matching her eyes. Her hair was lavender, sleek, straight, and long, just barely past the middle of her back. Although her frame was petite, slender, and tall, she remained level-headed and stern. We were not greeted with warmth and open arms; rather, it felt like I was leading us straight into battle, and this elven woman was the one I needed to negotiate with.

Everyone here was mainly elven and judging by the looks of things, they held different colors to their features, while the humans or mixed blood were more neutral based. I wonder if it had something to do with the ability to wield magic.

"We greet the princess of the Vampire Kingdom," the elven woman's voice was powerful and cut through us like a sharp knife; clearly, she disapproved. If the high elf, Keyair, wasn't here, would she show her true nature? Something told me I'd find out soon.

I nodded my response to her, letting her know I acknowledged and accepted her greeting but ensured she knew I was still higher than her. It was custom to be this way to strangers of lower rank. That way, they wouldn't try to take advantage and assume they were on your level. Her eyes flashed, and a slight hint of malice grazed them but was hidden a second later, and if I were naive and uneducated on these things, I would've second-guessed it. But I wasn't. I was well-versed in reading people and their emotions from a very young age. How else was I able to become my sister's right hand and bring the kingdom up for so long?

Ignoring her, I turned to Keyair, who dismounted and walked around to stand near my foot. His hand extended, and I took it without hesitation. Look all around and take note of how the high elf treats me. I'm sure there were many glaring my way, but they couldn't make a move; their high elf held me in his favor. I'll use this to my advantage for now.

Draven and the rest left with the staff heading towards their assigned area to prepare for their journey back. Unfortunately, Silas remained here instead of Draven, but that was fine. I just needed to keep an eye on him and make my move to get him back to my side.

I didn't expect a warm welcome, but I was shocked to see that no one really took me seriously. Servants and maids stared wide-eyed as we passed, and they greeted the high elf but ignored me. This was going to be troublesome. If this is how they react now, who's to say I didn't already have an assassin planted in the room I'd be using for my stay?

It was apparent on their faces that they knew who I was, so it's not that they weren't informed prior. Maybe it was the fact they hadn't seen a vampire before. Or that they feared I'd drink them dry, using them as my trinkets and meals. Well, no matter my course of action wasn't to get these people on my side right now. I had bigger plans in store.

Walking down each hall took my breath away. I remember my mother stating how beautiful and grand the castle was. And she was right. The white, clean walls rose taller than any creature, and paintings dressed midway lined either side with artwork from past predecessors. Jeweled vases on pillars were placed between each painting and window, and when the sun's rays peeked through, an array of colorful beams of light caressed our bodies and the floor. It was truly magical. Nothing could compare to the on-look of this scenery. But instead of feeling joyous, I felt nothing but growing anger and hate. Why was I really brought here?