Part 65 Irene

Irene peered over her glasses at Lucas, her expression softening with understanding. "And who's your mama, boy?" she asked, her voice gentle yet insistent.

Lucas hesitated for a moment, weighing his words carefully. "It's a bit of a long story," he began, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "But we've been piecing together some information about her recently."

With Emily by his side, Lucas recounted the details they had gathered so far, carefully omitting the more supernatural elements of their investigation. He spoke of Andi, the woman they believed to be his mother, and her connection to Ruby Falls. He mentioned Rose's friendship with Andi, and the promise she made to keep Lucas safe.

Irene listened intently, nodding along as Lucas spoke. "Sounds like quite the tale," she remarked, a hint of admiration in her voice. "You've got a lot of catching up to do, it seems."

Lucas offered her a grateful smile, grateful for her understanding and acceptance. With Irene's help, perhaps they would finally uncover the truth about his past and the secrets that had been hidden for so long.

Emily, sensing Lucas's relief at sharing his story, interjected softly. "We're hoping you might be able to help us," she said, her tone tentative yet hopeful. "Do you know anything about Daniel's whereabouts? Anything at all that might help us find him?"

Irene's gaze turned distant for a moment, her mind drifting back to memories long buried. "Daniel," she murmured, the name carrying a weight of its own. "He was always a wanderer, that one. Never could stay in one place for too long."

Lucas and Emily exchanged a glance, their curiosity piqued by Irene's cryptic words. "Do you know where he might have gone?" Lucas pressed, his voice edged with urgency.

Irene shook her head slowly, a sigh escaping her lips. "No. But he ain't dead," she replied, her voice tinged with certainty.