16

Hinata sat with Sakura and Ino at lunch, the three of them together at a lunch table. Sakura was looking down at her plate, frowning.

"Is something wrong?" Hinata asked, watching Sakura stiffen and sit up straighter.

"No," Sakura said, finally making eye contact. "Everything is fine..."

Ino snorted. "Yeah right. You've been gloomy all day. What happened? Is it the break up?"

"No and yes," Sakura murmured, sighing. She slumped down, pouting. "I've just been confused lately."

"About?" Hinata prompted.

Waving her hand in the air for emphasis, Sakura said, "Everything. Love. Me. You know, the usual."

"Mmm..." Hinata hummed. "Well, what about love have you confused?"

"And what about you has confused you?" Ino added, glancing between Sakura, who sat beside her, and Hinata, who sat in front of Sakura.

A worry had began as soon as Hinata had noticed something was off with Sakura. She couldn't help it. And she didn't know what to do to assist Sakura.

"Do you think I'll ever find love? I mean, true and deep love, not the love of fools. Whenever I was with Naruto, i knew I loved him, but that love disappeared with time. No," she said, biting her lip and looking down again. "No, it's more accurate to say that it changed. That love went from blinding to soft to caring to something akin to platonic. Or maybe all four at once. Either way, it changed and now I'm unsure if I'll ever find love. Or if I'm even capable of such a thing. I tried with Eno, but there wasn't anything there. And other men just haven't felt the same. I'm even losing my love Sasuke. No, it too has changed. I love him more as a friend than as a lover."

"Wow," Ino said, blinking slowly.

Hinata let all of that sink in before replying. "If you want love, you will find it, but it may take time and effort. You won't simply pick the perfect person for you immediately. Give yourself some time and space from romance for a while, to get used to yourself, and then decide whether or not you want a relationship. If you still do, then let it happen naturally. Don't force anything."

Sakura nodded. "Okay..."

Ino looked impressed. "That was really good advice, Hinata."

"I know."

•••

Sasuke pursed his lips, watching Naruto as the latter flipped through channels. They sat on the couch together, hoping to find a movie to watch.

It was Saturday evening, and Naruto had suggested they spend his day of together.

"Oo! Isn't this that one movie you were obsessed with for a while, Sasuke?"

Naruto turned to Sasuke, his eyes lit up.

Sasuke glanced at the screen. It was, in fact, a movie he was fond of. And he had seen it twenty-four times. But that wouldn't stop him from watching it again.

"Yeah, let's watch it."

"Okay!"

After turning on the movie, Naruto slid down in his spot on the couch, leaning his head against Sasuke's arm.

Something that Sasuke had noticed was that Naruto had become much clingier as of late. He often hung off of Sasuke's arm when they walked, or rested his head on sasuke's shoulder. Of course, Sasuke didn't mind this. In fact, he enjoyed the contact, but it caused a small flicker of worry within him. Naruto was his clingiest whenever upset, normally.

As the movie began, Naruto sighed softly, reaching up to hold onto Sasuke's lower arm.

"Naruto," Sasuke whispered, not wanting to break the peaceful bubble surrounding them.

The blond looked up, humming in response.

Taking a deep breath, Sasuke steeled himself. "Is something wrong? You're never usually this touchy."

Naruto went to sit up, eyes wider than before. "Ah, sorry—"

Sasuke pulled him back down. "I never said I minded, dumbass. If you're comfortable, stay there. I just want to make sure you're not upset."

Smiling, Naruto got comfortable again, curling against Sasuke side as the latter wrapped his arm around Naruto. "I'm okay," Naruto whispered, looking content.

"Good."

"I just feel more at ease when close to you, so I guess I've been attaching myself to your side for a while. Sorry. I tried to stop doing that as much whenever I got with Sakura, but I don't have anyone else to cling to. I mean, I have Hinata, but I prefer to stick with you. No offense to her."

Heat rose to Sasuke's face. "Oh. Alright then."

Chuckling, Naruto turned his attention to the movie. As soon as his eyes landed on the screen, it cut to someone being murdered. Naruto grimaced, leaning further against Sasuke, who pulled him closer in return.

"You agreed to watch it," Sasuke whispered, grinning.

"I did. I did....."

•••

Hinata and Sakura were sitting on Hinata's bed.

"Hey, Hinata...do you...like women?" Sakura glanced at Hinata as the latter flushed, her eyes wide. "Not to intrude! I've just been questioning my sexuality lately, with everything going on, and I was wondering if you has any insight! But that was a terrible way to start, I'm sorry!"

Shakily, Hinata nodded. "Yes. I do like women. But I also like men. And everything in between. I don't have a preference, actually. It's called being pansexual."

"Oh. Okay. That's cool!" Sakura smiled widely, her eyes closing slightly. Then, she sighed and leaned against Hinata. "Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you?"

Hinata gulped, hoping Sakura couldn't hear it and guess how nervous she was. "Oh? No, I don't think you have," she whispered, wrapping and arm around Sakura.

"Well, I do. So much. You're the best, truly. And I don't know what I would do without you."

What would Neji think now, Hinata wondered, what would he think of her? And this? How would he react? Hinata hoped he would be proud.

"Thank you. I try to be supportive and kind towards everyone!"

"You do a great job, Hinata."

The way Sakura said her name caused a trail of butterflies to enlighten within her, a smile forming on her warm face.

"Thank you..."