18

At school, Naruto found Hinata at lunch. She was sitting next to Sakura, the two rather close, and Hinata was gazing up at Sakura as if she had hung the stars.

For a moment, Naruto just stood there, dumb-founded. Then, he hurried over and sat next to Ino, and across from Sakura.

The three girls jumped as he sat down, making him grin.

"Hey, I don't have much time to talk, I've got to meet up with Sasuke, but I need advice. And you three are the smartest people I know."

Ino snorted, flicking his shoulder. "Dumbass, you nearly gave us a heart-attack, but sure. What do you need?"

Hinata was watching him carefully and Sakura was avoiding eye contact. It was most likely best that way, but her lack of acknowledgment stung viciously.

Here he goes, it was now or never. Why he chose to say this in front of Ino and Sakura was beyond him, but despite everything, he trusted them and their judgement. "How do I tell if I only like women? Or if I like other genders as well?"

Silence, then all eyes were on him. Sakura had finally seemed to focus on him, for the first time in a while, and it made Naruto feel better about himself. Maybe things could work out.

Hinata giggled. "You're not the first person to come to me about sexuality this week, funny thing."

Sakura flushed, elbowing Hinata, and looking away.

Naruto gasped dramatically, amused and not at all surprised. He had known Sakura liked women for quite some time. He heard how she talking about Jennifer Laurence. "Oooo! Sakura!" He whispered, as if it was a scandal, making Ino chuckle.

"Shut up!" She hissed kicking him from under the table.

He chuckled in response, smiling. It felt nice to act normally around of Sakura. Almost like nothing had changed. Like they were friends again.

"Okay, who or what made you question your sexuality in the first place?" Ino asked, getting straight to the point.

"Um...well, actually, I've always found certain people attractive. Actually, as long as a person has a good personality, then I don't seem to notice their gender at all." This wasn't ntirelt true. It was Sasuke and that waiter that had caused him to question himself. The other part, though, was true.

"Well," Hinata began, "would you ever date someone of another gender? Not just women?"

"Well, if I liked them, then yes..."

Ino nodded. "Ok, then there's your answer."

Hinata smiled softly at him. "I am pansexual, meaning I like people for them, not heir gender. It could be something like that." When Naruto frowned slightly in thought, she shrugged gently. "Or not. This is something only you can figure out. We can assist as much as possible, but, ultimately, what you decide and realize are up to you. Just don't force it."

"But, isn't that the same as not having a type?" This was the only issue Naruto had found with Hinata's advice. Her words hadn't made perfect sense to him, as he had hoped they would.

"No. I have a type, it's just not based on gender." Her face was slightly flushed as he glanced at Sakura and back at Naruto.

"Oh." Naruto thought for a moment, his face getting hot. This conversation was slightly embarrassing. And Hinata had looked at him as if she saw through his soul. Plus, her glance back at him held weight, and now he was questioning everything.

Ino giggled. "You like someone, don't you?"

Eyes widening, Naruto shook his head, hard and fast. "What? No! I—" he narrowed his eyes at the table, feeling even more embarrassed. "No, no. I don't like him..." He muttered.

"Him? Oh? You've got someone in mind?" Ino prompted, a sly grin on her face as she leaned towards Naruto.

Turning even more red, Naruto leaned away. "What? No? I mean...maybe, but still!"

"Ooo! You like someone!" Hinata whispered, giggling.

"No!" He pouted, looking to Sakura for help. She was smiling, shaking her head. "Help me, they're ganging up on me!"

She laughed. "Nope. You're on your own. Just keep digging the hole deeper, why don't you?"

"Huh?" Naruto was at a loss. He didn't like Sasuke, but he felt himself getting more and more flustered as they spoke about it. And the more he thought about it, the more the idea seemed to make sense.

But he didn't like Sasuke, they were best friends and roommates. There was no way he would like him.

There was no way he would have moved on so quickly.

Guilt swarmed him, buzzing around his ears and clouding his vision.

"But, my feelings towards that person hasn't changed....I always feel so safe and warm next to him, but I've felt that way since we were little. I care for him, I do, but it's always been platonic. There's never been anything there." Naruto glanced around at the girls. Hinata's face was slack in surprise. "I don't like him. I can't."

Ino sighed. "Well, he's denial," she said to Sakura, who looked lost and slightly shaken.

"So, you're saying that you've liked this person since you were little? This guy...this mysterious man...." Hinata whispered, licking her lips and turning her head to the side, watching Sakura clear her throat and shift awkwardly.

"Would this person happen to be Sasuke?"