Changes

Tears cascaded down Kaiya's cheeks, leaving glistening trails in their wake. The weight of the news hung heavy in the air, a suffocating reminder of the tragedy that had befallen their family.

- "But it was an accident! He didn't mean to do that!" Kaiya's voice cracked with emotion, her words a desperate plea for understanding. She turned to her mother, her eyes pleading for solace in the face of overwhelming despair.

But her mother's response was distant, her gaze fixed on some distant point beyond the confines of their reality. There was a weariness in her eyes, a silent acknowledgment of the harsh reality they now faced.

- "He'll be in juvenile detention for a few years," her mother murmured, the words falling like a leaden weight upon Kaiya's heart. The finality of the statement hung in the air, a stark reminder of the consequences of their actions.

Desperation clawed at Kaiya's chest as she grasped for a lifeline, a glimmer of hope in the darkness that threatened to consume them. 

- "Please, mother, you have to do something!" she pleaded, her voice trembling with fear and uncertainty. "Let's talk to my father!"

Her mother's response was a weary nod, a silent acquiescence to the inevitable. There was a heaviness in the air as they stood together, the weight of their grief pressing down upon them like a suffocating blanket.

But even amidst the despair, Kaiya refused to give up hope. 

- "I can't live without Kazutora," she sobbed, her voice raw with emotion. 

- "You can and you will." her mother said, her voice devoid of emotion, as if she were speaking to a stranger rather than her own flesh and blood.

Kaiya dashed out of the house, her tears mingling with the cold night air, a sense of desperation gripped her heart. With each step, the weight of her anguish bore down upon her like a leaden burden, threatening to crush her beneath its unbearable weight.

Stopping abruptly, Kaiya leaned against the rough surface of a nearby building, her breath coming in ragged gasps as she fumbled for her phone. With trembling hands, she dialed a familiar number, her heart pounding in her chest as she waited for a response.

- "Takashi..." she whispered, her voice cracked with emotion, only to be met with Mitsuya's somber tone on the other end of the line. The realization struck her like a bolt of lightning, sending a shiver down her spine.

- "Takashi...please..." she pleaded, her voice trembling with unspoken pain. "I... oh... where are you?"

But as the words left her lips, a sudden wave of clarity washed over Kaiya. In that moment, she realized that Mitsuya might be with Mikey, grappling with a grief that eclipsed even her own.

The realization hit her like a physical blow, the weight of it pressing down upon her like a heavy stone. For all her own struggles and sorrows, she had forgotten that there were others who were suffering even more deeply than she.

- "I'm with Mikey," he responded softly, the sadness evident in his voice. "Kaiya, I think you should come here too."

His encouragement echoed through the phone, a lifeline amidst the tumult of Kaiya's emotions. After all, she was Mikey's friend too, and her presence might offer some solace in his time of need.

But Kaiya hesitated, her heart heavy with fear and uncertainty. 

- "Do you think that this is a good idea?" she asked, her voice trembling with apprehension. The memory of Mikey's chilling words still lingered in her mind, a stark reminder of the anger and grief that consumed him. "Do you think Mikey will want to see me now?" she continued, her voice faltering with doubt. "I think that he hates me now."