Thirteen - Welcome To The Beginning Of The End

Death rattled on the window, he shook the doorknob and he tried politely knocking but he got no response from the cold, dark House. 'Lorelai, open up,' he said. If he were a mortal he would close his eyes and pinch the bridge of his nose, if he were mortal he would feel something more than exasperation, if he were mortal maybe he wouldn't be facing off with the Murder House. But he wasn't mortal, he was Death, the Grim Reaper, he had so many names but none of them could accurately describe him. He was everything and nothing, he was the beginning of the end, he was the last person the alive meet before they become the dead. He didn't wear a cloak and carry a scythe as it was depicted, he did once upon a time but he found it awfully costume like nowadays. He upgraded to a sleek black suit that hung off his bones, the ends of his suit trailing off to tendrils of shadows. Once he was told it looked like he lit his jacket arm on fire, he quite liked the idea of setting alight himself even though his bones won't burn. He ground his teeth together hating how the House refused to open her door yet again for him, the last time she kicked him out before he could fully finish. He had to finish his job talking through the letterbox as if he didn't have a centuries long relationship with the House, and the ground she was built upon. He geared up to say what she wanted to hear, it wasn't easy but he had a job to do and that was of the upmost importance. He was never late, nor was he early, he liked to believe he arrived at the perfect time each time. 'Please Lady Bellerose,' he was gearing up to ram his foot against the doorknob or find an open window when the door creaked open slowly.

      'Long time,' she said as he stepped inside.

       'Eternity would not be enough time,' he dusted himself down looking around her newly painted walls. He had to admit she looked better than the last time he was here, he could feel her peering at him and judging him. 'Always a pleasure, direct me to his room please,'

       'Who?'

       'I despise you,'

       'You are not supposed to show anger or negative emotions, or any emotions honestly. You are the embodiment of neutrality,'

       'With living creatures, not Houses with a big mouth,'

       'I shall have you understand I have learnt how to close my doors and speak through my windows like a lady. I once would have said fuck off and now I say long time,' it took him a moment to realise what she was saying. When he did he decided to leave her be and not play along, he could never win against the Bellerose House. She found weaknesses in a creature that had none. He made his way up the stairs, peering into each room, he only recoiled when Trouble hissed at him.

       'I thought we were friends, you let me pet you last time, what changed kitty cat?' He held out his hand for her. Despite her hissing she bumped her head against his knuckles, pulling away when he went to stroke her head. She turned away and jumped back onto the long limbs of a teenage boy Death had the pleasure of meeting multiple times. Ellis was flat on his back on the floor, the single bed completely abandoned by Joy who was curled into his side with a blanket over them both. Trouble walked over his legs for a moment before settling on his stomach, her big doe like eyes watching Death's every movement. 'Do not fret little one, I am not here for him yet,' she seemed to relax. He pulled the quilt of the bed and placed it over the two on the floor, he closed the door as gently as possible behind him. The next room held two figures huddled under a blanket, Death closed this door too, the last door he opened held two figures, one curled up on the right side and the other small and stiff.

       "Took you long enough," Elton grumbled.

       'I took a detour,' Death paused, his hand on the doorknob. 'You were expecting me? How long have you awaited my presence mortal? Am I a welcome visitor or will you run away?' Elton always expected Death's voice to be raspy and scary sounding, instead he sounded like he as constantly talking to a puppy. His voice was soft and high pitched, tender and comforting.