Chapter 3

I squint my eyes as the sun shines through the slit in my curtain. My head is still trying to wrap itself around what I found out yesterday. Years ago there was something called the hunger games, where 2 children from each of the districts would go into an arena and fight to the death until one person remained. But my mum changed that. She held out a handful of berries for love and for rebellion, and showed the Capitol that not everyone can be so easily manipulated into their games. A year later my parents went back  into the arena with 22 other previous victors. That's where all the loose ends of the rebellion tied together. Then the rebellion began, and then the rebellion ended. Aunt Prim died, dads parents and brothers died. A lot of mums and dads close friends died. Gale moved to district 2, grandma moved to district 4.  

I think it's about time I got up out of bed. As I walk past my dads office the screen lights up, it's flashing again, but this time with angry people. This could only mean one thing, people were protesting and rebelling again. I don't think that they are pleased with the news of the new president. They all know who she is, they all know what she might do. Deep down inside we all know that she will do something, and we probably all know what that is. "Dad you might want to take a look at this" I shout moments later mum dad and Fin come running into the room. As they do the tv changes. An announcement from the new president.  An uneasy feeling settles in the pit of my stomach...

"Lady's and gentlemen - citizens of Panem -  it has come to my attention that there has been a bit of, how do we put this, a bit of a disturbance within the district. Now we don't want war again do we, we don't need to go and kill off the human race. So to keep things in order. I do believe that some of our previous systems will need to be returned. We are happy to announce that the hunger games will return this June. It will continue from the 77th hunger games, and everything will continue the same: a reaping, a parade, the arena and only one victor. Do you understand? Anyone who has anything against this, should, and will bite their toung, as new laws will be placed in order. Disobedience of orders will be punishable by death. That is all. Happy hunger games and may the odds be ever in your favour." The screen goes black. Realisation hits us like a punch to the gut. The games are returning. This is her revenge.