Chapter 37

KIERAN

There's no way she doesn't know we can see her.

Abby crouches low in the water as she cleans herself, her movements hurried as she runs the cloth over her skin. Mace's voice trails off as he notices, and we both grow silent as Abby lifts her shirt and bra underneath her armpits.

The water slightly distorts the view, but there's no mistaking the slope of her breasts or the darkened color of her nipples.

Her skin pebbles as it's exposed to the cold, and she pointedly avoids looking in Mason and my's direction as she washes herself. Communal bathhouses are popular in Elora, especially among the wealthy, but there's something about seeing Abby that excites me.

Most faeries look similar, particularly when naked, and Abby's differences draw me in.

She's several inches shorter than most faerie women, and even though I'm sure she's an average height for humans, I can't help but think she looks quite stout. Instead of the protruding hip bones and hardened abdomens I'm accustomed to seeing on women, Abby's got a thin layer of fat that I know firsthand is soft to the touch.

Especially in the areas where it accumulates.

When I brought her into the river for a cleaning, she continually pressed against me while trying to escape. Her ass was firmer than I thought it would be, but it was still significantly softer than what I've experienced before.

I hardly noticed at that moment, but as Abby bends forward and her breast tissue shifts underneath the water, it's all I can remember.

For somebody who's been so concerned about modesty, Abby's sure giving us a show.

Her light blonde hair grows dark as it saturates with water, growing to a color identical to Mason's. It clings to her face, too, and she appears annoyed as she wipes a few strands off her cheeks.

I can't help but smile.

She's quite ungraceful.

Faeries typically take great pride in their light, almost white hair, but I like Abby's. I might be biased, though, considering my own hair is brown. The color has caused hundreds of rumors questioning my parentage to spread throughout the years, but it's been proven that I'm my father's son.

He had the tests done before I could walk.

It turns out great-grandfather had dark hair, and the recessive gene wasn't completely bred out.

Abby shifts, and her brown eyes flash in our direction.

I look away, careful not to get caught staring, but Mason doesn't give her the same courtesy. He's never been one to hide from what he finds interesting, and I can tell it annoys Abby as she lets out a quiet huff and turns back around.

I return my gaze to her the moment she's no longer facing me.

"What're the odds she shows us her cunt?" Mason asks, speaking quietly so she doesn't hear.

Low.

I don't know what Abby thinks she's gaining by exposing her breasts to us, but I can guarantee it's not going to work. She's evidently caught on that we're attracted to her, but she won't find luck seducing us into changing our minds about giving her to Zaha.

I've had to make several hard choices in my life, and even though I don't feel good about what I'm doing to Abby, it's ultimately the right decision. The death that seeps from the gods' portal will inevitably be our extinction, and I'm willing to ruin the life of one human woman if it puts an end to the death.