Chapter 2 - Noah

Noah's Point of View:

Stand up for yourself. Never give any one permission to abuse you.

- Lailah Gifty Akita
____________________

"Wes Goldwater's. Noah Bates. Alexander Stone. Daniel Anderson. Please step forward."

Everyone watched in silence as we all stepped forward with our navy boots clinging to the ground beneath us. A small bead of sweat trailed down my hair to my brow but I knew better than to wipe it. Even though it was snowing, I was still sweating and nervous as hell. Today we were getting promoted. Daniel and Wes smiled and winked at me as the chief marched in front of us. "You boys have shown exemplary work. Therefore you will be promoted."

"However, one peep that you've misbehaved." He eyed Wes and Alex. Wes was more of the troublemaker in the group. He was the womanizer, the one who almost got us kicked out of the squad and also the blonde one. Alex was quiet one and also the smarter one but he had his moments of stupidity too.

"Any notion that you were drunk on site." He glared at Daniel and we all snickered. He had a reputation for being drunk while working. Of course it was hilarious to us, but really bad when trying to aim or shoot.

"Or any laziness or fooling around on duty will get you fired and demoted back to the beginners you were when you first came. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir!" We all said in unison and stood up tall. The snow squished under my feet. The heavy uniform was getting steamy as we stood tall in front of the chief. The crowd behind watched with smiles on each of their faces.

"Now. With that said, you are all now officially officers. I want you to be on duty at all times. To defend yourself when you feel obliged to. To protect the citizens of America from terrorists and from anyone who has the audacity to harm us. Your duty is to serve as the honored men you were born to be." He paused and faced the crowd. "All rise."

Everyone stood and placed their hands on their hearts. We took off our hats and placed them on our hearts as well. "A moment of silence will proceed after Scarlett May Rivers recites the national anthem." Wes nudged me as Scarlet stood up from the crowd and made her way to the podium. She spotted me and smiled before her angelic voice beamed through the speakers. She closed her eyes and sang. I watched in silence and listened.

Everyone clapped and hooted when Scar finished and stepped down; and then proceeded to leave. Wes grabbed his hat and whistled. "Is it hot or is it just me because I'm burning like an egg on a hot summer's day." I smiled and waved at Scarlett who winked at me and made her way to her family and friends. Our relationship had just begun but I had a feeling it was going to last.

"Noah, can I speak with you." Wes and Daniel stepped aside as the chief came over to me.

"Son, I want you to know that I and your mother are very proud of you." I smiled and shook his hand.

"I know, Dad. I'd do anything to make you guys happy." He gave me a full-toothed grin and pulled me in for a hug.

"You're a good boy, son. Ever since you were younger I knew you had a fighter in you. You're just like me when I was your age. A fighter. You always will be." I nodded and watched as Wes and Alex and Daniel made their way towards our rooms.

Dad noticed and patted my back. His grey eyes shone with delight and respect as he saluted me. "Don't let me down son."

I put on my hat and smiled one last time at Dad before putting my hand on my forehead and giving him one last salute. "I won't, Chief."

****

"Attention all newbies. You guys all excited for your first post?" General Mathews marched in front of us and smirked. His long blonde hair reached his ears as he put force into every step he took. I shrugged along with Wes and kept my mouth shut. General Mathews was known for his short-temper and harsh words. He was a man of a few words, but when he got angry it showed dramatically. General Mathews marched in front of us again and spit right next to my foot. "You guys been watching the news lately?"