Chapter 14: Noah

Noah's Point of View:

Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to hate, and hate leads to violence. This is the equation.

-Ibn Rushd
__________________

It took a couple of minutes for me to digest the information. I leaned back on my heels and stared at the screen when Alex sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"This is bad. This is really bad."

I looked at him and then the screen before shaking my head. "But she's not the only one in the list. That's a good thing right?"

Alex turned and gave me a look before shrugging helplessly and shaking his head. "Probably, I mean if she behaves herself she'll be overlooked. If not then-"

"Then they'll take her." I nodded my head and stood, grabbing my jacket and shoes before turning to Alex once more. Shrugging on my jacket, a thought came to mind.

"Alex, can you search for missing people on your computer?"

He gave me a confused look before shaking his head slowly. "No. Only the computers in the station have the systems to do that, and I can't hack into that. It'll be too noticeable."

I nodded in understanding, and slipped my phone and keys into the pocket of my jeans. Alex watched silently, before I nodded to his bedroom and slipped on my shoes.

"Well, go on then. Get dressed. We're leaving right now." Alex cringed and shook his head, standing slowly and looking down.

I noticed the tiered look that covered his face, and noticed that Alex never wore sweats or a t-shirt casually. He hated it, and here he was looking as if he took the whole day off doing nothing. "I can't."

I stopped putting on my shoes and stood up and gave him a confused face. "What do you mean you can't." Closing his eyes for a second, he dropped into the chair again and shook his head sadly.

"I got fired four days ago. I haven't been there since." I looked him in the eyes and seen he was devastated. This job was all he ever wanted. He loved working with computers, and interacting with the people he grew up with and loved. This job was all he had left and Dad took it from him?

"Why the hell did he fire you?" Alex looked up before shrugging. He unconsciously ran a hand down his face and looked up at me again.

"He thought I wasn't of use to you guys, and said I was distracting you from your work."

I let my arms fall to my side in anger, and frustratingly pulled my jacket together. My hand instinctively racked through my hair and tried to calm myself. I thought about the possibilities of him never coming back and shook my head. No way was that going to happen.

"Alex, get dressed." I spoke quickly to shadow my anger and walked to the door when Alex frowned and grabbed my arm.

"Dude, I just told you-"

"It doesn't matter. If he asks I let you in." The words spat from my mouth quickly and Alex backed off and raised his eyebrows before turning slowly and walked into his bedroom to change. I sauntered to the car and closed the door while thinking about what I should do. To be honest, I haven't spoken to him since he left the house. Mom has been worried about him when I found out he was sleeping in the office and eating there. He called a few times since, but I didn't answer.

I wanted him to see how it feels when you have no one to talk to. No one to come home to, and no one to call family. He's constantly pushing us away, and ridiculing us so I felt it was time for him to see what he was playing at. Now he was crossing the line, firing Alex like that. He knew I'd find out and retaliate and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he wanted to happen. Resting my head against the steering wheel, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath when Alex opened the door and walked in.