Chapter 16: Noah

Noah's Point Of View:

Nothing hurts a good soul and a kind heart more than to live amongst people who cannot understand it."

- Ali Ibn Abu-Talib RA
__________________________

"Are you going to let me go so I could speak?" My voice, raspy from managing to speak while his hand was clenching my throat, came out barely a whisper. He turned me around and looked me in the eyes when he recognized me. I flinched waiting for him to attack when he released me and raised his gun to point at my forehead. I watched his eyebrows furrow in anger, and he didn't say a word. His shoulder length hair looked greasy with sweat but their jet black color contrasted with his light brown skin. His face was covered in dirt, but from behind them, you could see the same man who had nearly killed two of our officers that day. I shook my head and looked up at the ceiling to it was falling to pieces. The floor was covered in dust and pieces of shattered glass. I faintly heard the click of a gun and my attention immediately greeted the black rim of the gun mere inches from my face. A shudder ran through my body, but deep down I knew he would do it. I looked back at him and stared him down before I devastatingly looked down and sighed. "I need your help."

He frowned and didn't move an inch. I rolled my eyes and continued. "It's about Aleena's little sister. May." His face fell at the mention of her name. Shocked at my words, he lowered the gun and gripped the collar of my shirt before slamming my into the wall again, shaking the wall and nearly dropping all the antique frames along with it. I groaned from the impact, my head throbbing in pain. He grew close before whispering again.

"What do you know about Maysa and Aleena?" His voice rang through my ear and I held my breath for a second and spoke.

"She's alive and well. She's with me right now, but I don't think I can take care of her at the moment. From the smell of your breath and your looks, you don't look like you're in shape to hold her either. Seriously." I looked down at his tattered clothes and raised an eyebrow. Tariq frowned and released me, and focused on raising his sleeves.

"Where is she?" He spoke firm and oddly gentle. I rubbed my neck and fixed my collar before letting out a sigh and sitting on the stair steps, looking up at him with a frown.

"I kept her in case the Chief would do anything to harm her, but I can't protect her anymore. You need to take her to her aunt's, cousins, or anyone else related to her. I can't keep her safe anymore." He listened closely before nodding his head. It was quiet for a moment, and I tapped my shoes against the wooden staircase when he spoke again.

"Well, are you going to take me to her or just sit there and fool around with your shoes?" I chuckled and stood, dusting off my jeans and putting my hands into my pockets.

"I knew I'd like you the moment I seen you. She's with a friend of mines right now, he'll bring her soon." He nodded before walking to the door. I started walking when he suddenly stopped and turned around again.

"Where's Aleena?" I froze for a second and shrugged. I had to choose my words carefully before I spoke. He frowned and I could see his anger rising when he clenched his hands and nearly charged. He reminded me of bull without the horns attached.

"To tell you the honest truth, I have no idea how she is. They took her down a few days ago and I haven't spoken to her since. I tried to contact her a couple of times but it wouldn't go through, Chief has maximum security there." Tariq shook his head and started pacing quickly around the room.

"I've been looking for her for days now, no wonder I couldn't find her. She can't handle those kinds of places, her heart won't be able to handle it; she'll go crazy. She's probably going nuts thinking about May." He started talking to himself and I just stood there confused at his internal battle with himself.