Chapter 4

"The more real you get, the more unreal the world gets.

Chapter 4

Jim Gator watched in silent as the tiny snowflakes landed on his windshield, for some this view might be breath-taking but not for him. Quite personally he hated his job, at first he was in it for the adventure but after some time the criminals became dumber and it became much easier for him to catch them. Even coffee couldn't save him today, he took one big sip and gulped down the rest of the hot liquid down his throat.

He grabbed the edges of his collar and tried his best to cover his ears with it before stepping out of the car. His eyes landed on the cabin and then on his partner who was rushing to him as soon as he saw him. "Jim my man, you made it!"

Detective gator shook his head at his partner's stupid remark before bypassing him and continued to walk towards the cabin. His eyes scanned the area, and saw the yellow tape surrounding the cabin. Suddenly his legs stopped after he approached the tape, after being in this business for ten years, he still found himself getting nervous, god knows how many horrible things he had seen in his career and they all started with this tape. But as usual he pretended to be the big boy he was not and made his way to the front door.

"So what are we looking at here?" he asked his partner who was having a hard time in matching his pace to his.

"As usual Homicide, the victim was found in the bedroom upstairs with an axe attached to his head, the ranger found him and then called us."

"That's it?" Jim asked in disbelief. "Do we have an identity on the victim?"

"Well the ranger told us that he said his name was Derek at the time when he rented the snowmobile."

"So he just rented a snowmobile to come here... Why? And what was the rush? He could have waited for the storm to stop." Suddenly feeling a bit interested in the case detective gator made his way towards the crime scene. His partner didn't even need to guide him, he knew Jim was more than capable of finding the room on his own, he just silently followed him.

Detective gator could smell the dry blood in the air which led him to the bedroom where the body was. Once he entered, his eyes became fixated on Derek he continued to stare at him for some time before his partner Chuck Smith interrupted his thoughts "pretty gruesome right?"

Jim shook his head before saying "I don't know partner this just smells funny to me."

"Funny?" his partner wanted to ask more but he knew asking questions to his partner would only provide him with more questions. He loved working with him, he was the best detective in the whole unit, but his weird obsession with criminals and their thinking was somewhat confusing to detective smith.

Jim stood there for just a few more seconds and then he turned away from Derek to study the crime scene more. "There was a fight here. Look at all the broken furniture..." he said to his partner.

His eyes were scanning the room when they saw a pair of very confusing eyes. He was a cop who was the first to arrive at the crime scene "when did you get here?"

"Oh about an hour ago sir." The cop's voice was shaky he was just some inexperienced kid who appeared to be a little too afraid of the detective standing in front of him.

"So what do you think?"

"About what sir?"

"About the crime scene, do you think there was a fight?" detective gator asked in a playful yet serious tone.

"Let the poor kid breathe you moron." Detective smith chipped in. "he's not the killer."

The kid appeared to be confused but kept his mouth shut.