Chapter 6

"Everybody's got a dark side, you just have to wait to see it.

Chapter 6

Six months after the honeymoon

"Nathan, are you even listening to me?" the woman sitting in front of Ethan asked him. Her voice was firm yet he still could sense some slight irritation in it. He could get why she would be irritated but it wasn't his fault that he was having such a hard time responding to his new name.

"Well of course I am." He sounded almost too much cheerful, Dr Julia Mccowan was having a hard time believing his answer.

"Tell me how long has it been?"

"Excuse me?" Ethan liked Dr Mccowan, she was smart and a beautiful psychologist also, with her he always felt a little bit playful, and he liked teasing her and then he would always tell fake stories about him just to get a reaction out of her.

"How long have you been seeing me?" it was rhetorical question, of course she already knew the answer to this question but she still wanted him to answer her. There was something off putting about him, she liked him as a patient, he was always on time, respectful and to some extent one of the best looking man she has ever seen.

"It has been two months Julia." He crossed his legs while answering, he knew how much this simple gesture affected her, she wasn't used to seeing her patients in such a confident posture they always tended to be weak and pathetic in front of her.

"So are you ready for my analysis about you now?" Julia stopped writing on her notebook and put down her pen, "and please refer to me as Dr Mccowan from next time."

A wide grin was suddenly plastered on Ethan's face, he leaned back in his leather chair, "Please by all means." He gestured with his hands to her to continue.

"You are a doctor yourself so you must know none of this is a final diagnosis..."

"I am a dentist." Ethan interrupted her in middle just to see her roll her eyes before the end of this session, he had to entertain himself after all she charges him hundred dollar for one session, it's the least he can do.

"As I have said you are a doctor yourself so must understand the responsibility that is on your shoulders regarding your patients, so I am just going to ask you one more question..."

"Which is?" Ethan couldn't help but feel curious with the fact that where exactly was she going with this.

"How stupid you think I am?" Dr Mccowan slapped her palms against the small coffee table which was separating her from Ethan.

The evident shock by this sudden outburst was clearly visible on Ethan's face, "I don't think I understand Julia."

"To me you are a mystery Dr Nathan, and I won't be able to help unless you let me..." She picked up her phone as if she was checking something "now I would like you to meet me twice a week instead of one, don't worry I wouldn't charge you extra."

Ethan forced a smile on his face but inside he could feel his blood boiling, she was trying to control him, tame him and he didn't like it not one bit. "Can I ask why this sudden new development?" he asked while gritting his teeth.

"Because I am your doctor, and as your doctor it's my responsibility to provide the best treatment for my patients." She checked her wrist watch and a smirk formed over her face, "I guess this is goodbye for now, I will see you next week."

Ethan licked his upper lip suddenly feeling a bit played "whatever you say Julia." He saw her cringe which was enough for him to be on his way.

"And don't forget to check your new schedule with my secretory, Laura."

Ethan was just about to leave but then he stopped himself from turning the doorknob to leave one last smart remark, "the best treatment for the patient is a good reason or maybe you just want to spend some more time with me." He winked at her and was gone before she can say anything else to argue his point.

She wondered about his last comment... and for a moment she asked herself was he saying the truth?

Ethan was just about to get out of this hell hole when he remembered that he had to visit Laura first, he could feel himself groaning from inside but as always he shook it off, and placed the most enticing charming smile on his face. He turned around and smiled seductively at Laura,

"Laura there you are, I was just looking for you."

Laura's head shot up from her laptop screen and was greeted by a pair of familiar blue eyes, "What do you want Dr Nathan?" her reply was cold as if she was somehow already irritated by his presence.

Ethan's smile dropped, out of the many reasons that he can pick on the subject that why he didn't liked Laura, this was one of them. She always gave him a cold shoulder for no apparent reason, she was one of those girls on which his charm didn't work, and that fact was somehow scary to him. She was dressed up very unattractively, her baggy woolen sweater did everything in its power to repel men apparently, and she was wearing brown wedges that seemed as if they belonged in 19th century. Her hair was pulled up in a messy bun, and she wore huge glasses to cover her eyes, for a moment he examined her face, she wasn't bad looking at all and some men might even find her attractive, some men definitely not him Ethan reassured himself. 

Laura removed her glasses and started rubbing her temples in a desperate attempt to get rid of him. She was used to seeing whackos on a daily basis in her life, working as psychologist's secretary made sure of that. But Dr Nathan was polar opposite of the other patients she will encounter in her daily life, he was everything a patient seeking mental shouldn't be and that fact alone was scary. She saw his face and it was blank no signs of emotion at all, well that's different Laura thought to herself.

Ethan saw her analysing his face and he quickly placed a fake smile on his lips "Dr Mccowan told me to check my new schedule with you."

His voice was plain and emotionless, alarmed at first but Laura tried to shake off the creepy feeling, "So now I will have the pleasure of seeing you twice a week, is that right?" she tried to lighten the mood while she turned to her laptop to print out his schedule.

"I can sense you already have a problem with it." His answer was direct and true.

Laura looked up from her screen again hoping to see him staring at her but instead he was on his phone, this bugged Laura. She herself was in medical college and this job was her means of paying the tuition fees, she too wanted to be a psychologist just like Dr Mccowan, she looked up to that woman a lot she was her idol. Nathan usually tries to flirt with her or give indirect answers to make her life miserable but today he seemed rather bored with her, this realisation was almost hurtful to her. She knew she dressed up like an old lady so she wouldn't be expecting men to actually throwing themselves at her feet let alone hitting on her, she dressed up in that way on purpose. God knows what kind of creeps show here every day, she didn't wanted the attention of some mentally ill person, but Dr Nathan was the only creep whose attention she wouldn't mind having.

She heard the printer in the back start which broke her out her trance, "I will get the copy for you." She turned around in her chair and walked slowly towards the printer. She regretted putting on a skirt today, since she could swear she felt Dr Nathan's eyes at her, she shrugged off her shoulders in an attempt to calm herself and grabbed the paper and slammed it on the table in front of him. 

"You will have an appointment every Tuesday and every Thursday 7 pm from now on." She pretended to type something in her computer and in a stern voice she said, "Have a good evening Doctor."

"Yeah... you too." She could swear that she heard him call her a bitch under his teeth but she refused to give him more attention. This was odd he was oddly not himself today and she felt bad for the person who would have to encounter his odd behavior this evening.