The Isle

The captain grabbed me and carried me to the decks.  I squirmed in his arms and tried to free myself as we came up into the night where a swarm of pirates were preparing the ship for docking.

"Let me go!"  I screamed, and noticed that Will was no where in sight.  The captain just cackled and walked to the front of the ship where I could see the water glittering under the pale moonlight.  I longed to dive in and be free, but the captain's grip was as tight as stone.

"Welcome to the Isle of Treasure, girl.  Look well, this is the last view you'll ever see," he snarled.  The ship stopped almost immediatel , making every crew member topple forward, except the captain.

"We've arrived..."  He said in the same way he had to me a few moments before under the deck.  His black bean colored eyes flickered with excitement while his lip stayed in a frown.  "And if you're wondering, this is the isle where every treasure a pirate could imagine lays hidden in the underwater caves," he explained and motioned to a few crewmates to get the boats ready.  "And the best part is, you shall lead us to the treasure!"

"I will not!"  I hissed, venom in my voice.

"Oh really?  Would you do it to him?"  He turned towards the tallest mast where Will had been tied unconscious.  "Because we shall burn him alive, if you don't."

I gasped and looked away.  "Let him go," I pleaded.

"Not unless you obey our every command, stubborn girl,"  he tightened his grip on my torso.  "You should be lucky you're alive."

I bit my lip and took a deep breath.  "Fine," I agreed and looked down at the floor, too disgraced to look up.

"Good, now any escapin' and he'll be killed," he warned and stepped closer to the edge of the ship before letting go of me.

The second I splashed into the water, my eyes opened wide as bubbles swarmed around me and cascaded from my pale pink lips.  I flicked my tail and jumped out of the water, water droplets glistening under the moon as I dove back under and felt the slightest bit of freedom. I rose to the surface to see that the entire crew had drifted to the edge to gaze.  The captain watched smugly and nodded towards the mast where a bald pirate cut the ropes and brought him down to the smaller boats where everyone was boarding.

"Don't think this means he's safe!  You have to lead us to the treasure first," the captain called once I had swam over to the boat and pulled myself into the boat.  I sat by Will's side as the boats rowed towards what seemed like just sea.

"Stop here!"  The Captain signified and turned to me.  "I forgot to mention, i be Captain Black," he gave a toothless grin and shuffled through his pocket before he found a canteen of rum.  He took a long sip and hiccuped when he was finished.

"Go on, girl, the island's hidden, find it for us.  Bring your little sailor if you wish," he instructed.

"How will he breath?"  I questioned and raised an eyebrow.  Captain Black cackled and rolled his eyes.  "He's unconscious, he don't need breathin'." I wanted to protest, but there was no use.  I couldn't leave Will with the pirates, so I had no choice but to be quick and find this 'isle' before he ran out of air. 

I took Will gently in my arms and dove back under the sea.  The island seemed to appear out of nowhere.  It was tipped upside down so the lush trees hung and the leaves swished through the water like a gentle breeze was blowing.  I began swimming towards it, strangely attracted like an invisible force was pulling me in.

"Welcome Syrena," I shot around to see nothing but a few air bubbles and a thin strip of seaweed.  I gulped and continued swimming towards the island.  I had yet to find out of the dangers I would encounter, and the secrets I would learn of my own past.

I looked down at unconscious Will and smiled.

"Let's go," I whispered in a cluster of bubbles and began swimming sswiftly ahead....