Aftermath

• Dedicated to Everyone who believes in Mermaids...

(Recap)

He brought a sword to my neck, its sharp blade touching my skin, threatening to pierce through my flesh.

"I don't care if you're a mermaid or not!"  He laughed.

"Let her Go!!!"  I heard someone yell from the entrance.  Black dropped me.  I managed to catch a glimpse of who had yelled.

I gasped as Will stood bravely, a sword pointed in the direction of Black's heart, the familiar smirk on his face.

"Or I'll have to kill you."

 ______________________________________________

"Will!"  I bellowed.

"Syrena!"  He eyed my legs.  "You're human?!"  He kept his stance, his sword still fiercely pointed in the direction of Captain Black, who stood there, baffled by what had just happened.

"Would any of you care to explain what exactly has happened here?  Because we have less than thirty minutes until time runs out!"  He announced, rage threatening his voice.  Will and I glanced at the hourglass, only a few grains of pearl colored sand pouring through the middle.

"It doesn't matter now," Black hissed, his coal black eyes flickering with rage.  "We either all die here or you turn back into your mermaid form and donate some blood before time runs out!"  He yelled, his voice echoed off the walls of the temple.  He pressed the knife tighter to my neck. 

"I can't," I cried.

"Why not!?"  Captain Black raised a bushy eyebrow furiously.  He pressed the knife even tighter until blood began to drizzle out down my neck.  I realized I was completely naked.

"Let her go!"  Will's sword was shaking in his hands.  Black dropped me onto the floor.  I curled up in a ball and choked down tears as he ran towards Will.

They clashed swords together.  The other pirates were quick to realize what happened and joined in.  They grabbed swords and clashed their own together, Will against Black;Pirate against pirate.  I watched through the blurriness of my vision as Will toppled down the stairs and rolled over to regain his posture, eyes wide with fear and excitement.  Black jumped down and striked towards Will but Will rolled over and grabbed his sword. 

I crawled away in the mess, unable to use my legs after all these years of swimming instead of walking. 

"Syrena!"  Will shrieked as a pirate swooped in with a dagger, about to claw my heart from my chest.  I ducked, but Black pierced his blade through Will's heart.

Everything seemed in slow motion as screamed his name at the top of my lungs and lunged forward to him. 

Just then, the final grain of sand dropped into the bottom of the hourglass.  The water in the pool began to erupt into the room and grab hold on each pirate as it spun around then, taking ever bit of flesh off their backs. I fell on top of Will, screaming bloody murder as lifeless skeletons yelled in horror, their fleshless bodies reaching for mercy.

'Do you love him?' The woman appeared in front of me, her sparkling eyes soft and warm.  I could have sworn I saw dolphins jumping through the waves in him.

"Yes!"  I cried as I held onto him for dear life, bits of skin falling away from his body as blood poured out from his chest.

'Would you sacrifice your life for him?' she inquired.  She leaned down as the the rest of the world went in slow motion. 

"Yes!"  I screamed, without a thought.  "Please don't let him die!"

The woman chuckled.

Suddenly, the world went entirely black before me.

_________________________

I woke to the sound of gulls overhead.  The waves lapped against my body.  I realized I was laying in the sand.  I rolled onto my side and smiled when I saw my legs.  I moved them with ease in the silky sand.

"I see you have woken."

Sebell and the woman, Calypso, stood before me.

"Where am I?"  I asked.  It came out as barely a whisper. 

"A secret island in the sea.  Mermen and Mermaids lurk around these waters.  It is a territory safe from humans, isolated from the outside world."

"And why are you here?  I thought you were trapped on the ship?!"  I nodded towards Sebell.

"I am not who you think I am, or thought I was.  I am the god of the seas, Poseidon, Neptune, I have many names, but I much prefer Sebell."  My mouth gaped open.

"I-I thought you were-"

"Yes, some average sailor who knew black magic and seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  No Syrena, I am the King of your kind.  The Emperor of the merpeople."  He nodded his head. 

"Where is Will?" I said, changing the subject.  Calypso and Sebell both exchanged a nervous glance.

My eyes widened in terror as I found myself standing up and running into the water.  I was surprised how fast I could run, and how I could even taken steps due to my legs which I hadn't used in 8 years.

I splashed through the water and eventually began swimming.  Calypso and Sebell watched from the beach amusingly.  I dove under and began searching for him.  It felt strange coming up or air every few seconds and swimming without a tail.  I was like a helpless fish flopping around on land.

Something brushed up against my leg once I was deep in the water.  I screamed out bubbles of air and pushed towards the surface where I coughed up water and tried to blink the salt from my watering eyes.  Someone grabbed my arms and I realized it was Will.  He had the same cute smirk he wore when he was younger spread across his face as he pulled me in and pressed his lips gently to mine.  I buried my face in his arms and let out a few squeaky words.

"I thought you were dead."  He bit his lip and gingerly rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Not entirely," he whispered under his breath.  Before I could respond he pulled himself further out of the water to reveal a golden tail instead of his legs.  And at the moment, I realized what had happened.  but before I could say anything, I violet light took over and I fell back into the water.