A Mermaid's Kiss

Syrena's father sat in the sand while holding one of her scales that he had found the day he had come back.  He had made a horrible mistake, something he would always regret.  His little Syrena was beautiful, she was a sea goddess, and he had been afraid of her. 

"George," a woman dressed in gray stood on one of the rocks.  A sad expression plaited across her face,  the raindrops ruining her makeup and patting down on her high wig.  Syrena's father shot around and slipped the scales away under his vest.

"I thought you were never coming back..."  Syrena's father muttered.  The woman sighed.

"I wasn't planning on it, but I wanted to come and see Syrena, I was hoping to get here on her birthday, but apparently there was a horrid case of scurvy on the ship I was asail.  But I'm here now."

"You sound so proper,"  Syrena's father sneered.  He looked away from her in disgust.

"And you sound exactly the same.  The same lighthouse keeper's son I fell in love with,"  the woman dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief.  Syrena's father kept his face completely stern.

"I'm afraid she's gone, Esme.  She came looking for you eight years ago during a storm.  She's not comin' back,"  Esme furrowed her eyebrows.

"You dreadful man!"  Esme snapped.  She jumped down from the rocks and snatched his collar in her dainty fingers.  "You never sent a letter!  I didn't even attend her service!"  Tears gently ran from her bright blue eyes.  Syrena's father took an exasperated breath.

"She's not dead, it's hard to explain though..."

"Well, my ship isn't leaving for a week, I demand a detailed explanation!"  Syrena's father made sure no one was in hearing distance before whispering in her ear.

"Let's just say she's no longer....herself."

__________________

"This is crazy" I whispered into the darkness, struggling to move, for I was tied to a wooden post.

"They're pirates, Syrena.  Crazy's in their blood,"  Will sighed from the opposite side of me.  I frowned.

After escaping from the island, it took only minutes to reach the ship, climb aboard, and agree to their little 'contract.'  I slowly pulled back my tail.

"You're not crazy!" I protested.

"I'm not a pirate!"

"Last I checked you were!"

We both sat in hushed silence until Will finally spoke up.

"It was the only way I could stay alive!  It was the only way I could maybe see you again!  And, well, I guess I did."

"You got to see this, not the real me," I gestured towards my tail.

"It is you Syrena!  You are a mermaid, the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in all my years!"  I bit my lip and felt the tears begin to burn.

"DO you really mean that?!"  I asked, my voice shaking.

"Yes, the moment I saw you, terrified as the Captain stabbed a sword through your tail, I fell in love with you, again."

Then he leaned forward and brushed his lips up against mine, our lips fitting perfectly together.  I closed my eyes as he gently wound his hands around my scale-covered waist.  Unlike my father, he didn't jolt away, but embraced the smoothness of the scales that glinted when I moved.

We finally both broke free from each other and sat there in silence as we both assured ourselves that what had happened wasn't a dream, and was reality.

"I love you Syrena, mermaid or human.  You are beautiful either way."  His words were like honey as they drifted through my mind.  I let a single tear drop, as it took the shape of a crystal and clinked to the floor.z

"I love you too," I whispered.

______________________________________________________________________________

I just wanted to say sorry for not uploading in a while.  I sortof had writers block for this, but after a week of thinking, I finally came up with some great ideas.  Hopefully this will get back on the what's hot list with your help, please read, comment and vote, thanks :] x