two

*Quick note I should have mentioned in the last chapter: the previous chapter was more of a prologue and was in third person POV (obviously.) The rest of the story will be in first person POV from our main character's view point.*

"Shit," I curse to myself as I look down at the shattered bottle of concealer that was now spread out on my bathroom floor. I quickly grabbed a few paper towels and wet them under the faucet, then, tried my best to collect as much glass and liquid as I could. I threw the towels away and decided to leave the partially cleaned mess on the bathroom floor; I couldn't be any more late than I was currently.

I rushed out into the kitchen of my flat, slipping my heeled boots on my feet and stumbling to grab my bag. I had been working at my Dad's publication office in London for about three weeks now, and I was late nearly everyday.

"Allison Spader, a local university student, has been missing since last Friday night. Police are still searching for leads, but are at a loss. The 20 year old student has seemed to have practically vanished, according to friends and family, without a trace." I stopped what I was doing and looked over to the TV as I briefly watched the news station as they showed photos of the girl. She was blonde and had striking blue eyes, I saw as selfies and photos of her with her friends at school flash on the screen. "Anyone with information is urged to call this number." I shut the TV off and left my flat, realizing I had just wasted five more minutes of time.

The second I step out of my building, I am greeted by the chilled air of December. I hug my jacket closer to my body as I walk down the street. I have only lived in the UK for about a month and a half now. Moving from the sunny state of California to the rainy city of London is a huge adjustment, but it's something I needed. My Dad, Albert Kolten, is the owner of Kolten Publications. I could have settled to work at a location in Los Angeles or even New York, but I wanted a complete culture shock. It took a lot of convincing on my Mom's end, but my Dad was right at my side. My parents have been divorced since I was about fourteen. Being twenty-one now, my Dad argued I should be able to have control over my life and follow what ever makes me happy. Not only living on my own, but being an ocean apart from my parents, has given me full control over my own life.

I shoved both of my hands into the warmth of my jacket pockets, mentally scolding myself for not waking up early enough to make coffee. As if God had heard me, I saw a Starbucks coming up on my right. I knew I was going to be super late to work if I stopped, but I also knew I would be cold and miserable if I didn't have at least one cup of coffee. I weighed the options in my head and went with the latter, entering the Starbucks.

I was greeted by the smell of holiday drinks and a strong brew as I entered the warm cafe. To my luck, the line was only five people long. On any other Monday morning, the line would have been wrapping around the store. I took my place in line and pulled my phone out to look at the time. 7:55 a.m. So I had about five minutes to get my coffee and sprint a little further down the street to work. Fantastic.

I slipped my iPhone into the back pocket of my black skinny jeans as I looked up to the board behind the baristas. The black chalkboard had been decorated in festive red and green chalk and surrounded by gold tinsel. I squinted as I read the special holiday drinks. 

"Having trouble seeing?" A male voice said from behind me.  I turned to see a boy about my age standing with his hands in his black jacket pockets. He smiled and his brown eyes twinkled lightly. 

"No, I just squint out of habit." I said, not realizing how sarcastically rude I sounded. I heard him chuckle as I looked back to the board. He walked up so he was next to me. 

"Personally, I would suggest the peppermint mocha. It's seasonal, so get it now while it's here." I looked over to him and nodded. 

"Are you a spokesperson for Starbucks?" I smiled and he laughed, shaking his head. 

"No, but I would love to be. I bet they make heaps of money."

"I bet they do." I said, checking my phone again. 7:58. 

"Where you off to?" He asked, causing me to look up at him, as he was fairly taller than me. He had to be at least six-foot-two. 

"What?" I asked. He nodded to my phone. 

"You keep checking your phone, and considering by how you're shaking your knee slightly, I would say you're rather late." I stopped moving my knee, which was a nervous habit of mine. I furrowed my eye brows at him and scoffed. 

"I'm sorry, I don't think I caught your name." I said, intrigued by the brunette boy in front of me. 

"Dan," He said. "And yourself?"

"Dan, didn't your parents ever tell you not to talk to strangers?" I asked teasingly as we moved up in the line. Two people left.

"Well, are you strange?" He asked, raising his eyebrows in an inquisitive way.

"I might be." I stated, taking a step and a half forward as the line moved. I looked down at my boots and noticed the slight dirt on them.

"I love strange." He said softly. I looked up at him and opened my mouth to speak, but was left speechless as he smirked at me.

"I can help whoever is next?" The barista said, obviously annoyed from us not moving. I went to take a step forward, but Dan put his arm out to stop me from moving.

"My treat." He said as he stepped forwards. Now I was really left astounded. He didn't even know my name, yet he was buying me a coffee. I stepped out of the line and went over to the other end of the counter as he finished the order. After he was done, he grabbed two cardboard cup sleeves and handed me one.

"Thank you, Dan." I said and he nodded.

"My pleasure." I took in his tall, lean stature. He wasn't hard on the eyes at all, and by the way he talked, he seemed to be extremely intelligent.

"So you never told me where you were headed." He said and looked over to me. I looked away to make it seem like I hadn't been staring at him, but it was obvious he knew. I looked up to see him smiling at me, his eyes creased.

"I work at eight." I said, looking at my phone again. 8:03 a.m.

"Ah, not going to get fired are you?" He joked and I rolled my eyes.

"We can hope." I muttered.

"Dan!" one of the baristas called as she placed two venti sized coffees on the counter. We approached and each grabbed one.

"What did you order me?" I asked, realizing I hadn't told him what I wanted. I slid the cardboard sleeve onto the cup and picked it up.

"A peppermint mocha, of course." He laughed as we began to exit the cafe.

"Well, I'm excited to try it." I said as we stepped out onto the sidewalk. "Thanks again, but I really do need to get to work if I want to continue having a job."

"Do I get a name now?" He asked, stopping me from leaving.

I looked up at him and smiled. "Sophia Kolten." I said and he nodded.

"I'm going to remember that, Miss Kolten." He pointed at me in a joking way as he began to walk backwards and away from me.

"And what good will that do? London is a big city." I joked and he shrugged.

"I'll find you somehow."