six

The hallway leading to Dan and Phil's flat was remarkably spacious. The building itself had an almost old time feel to it, making me feel comfortable being there. I watched the numbers on the doors until I reached the correct one. I rapped my knuckles on the wood of the white door three times and waited patiently, letting an uptight breath out. I heard the locks on the door turn and watched as the door opened. Dan stood on the other side, dressed in a pair of black jeans and a thin, black sweater.

"Hi," I said and he smiled, stepping into the hallway and shut the door behind him.

"How are you?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I'm okay. It's been a while since I've played an actual board game, so I'm a bit apprehensive." I joked and he let out a light chuckle as he leaned against the door.

"I was thinking, maybe we could go out? Like skip board games and just hang out. The two of us." He suggested, raising an eyebrow. I furrowed my own eyebrows and looked at him skeptically.

"You don't think that is a bit odd?" I asked and he shrugged.

"What is so odd about it?"

"Well I mean, Phil technically invited me over to hang out. So wouldn't it be a little weird if just the two of us went out?" I challenged and he studied me for a few seconds, watching me carefully.

"I think he would be fine, since he did it for my own sake." He said slowly, his voice becoming almost velvety as he spoke. I couldn't help the flips my stomach did as I bit my lip.

"If I didn't know any better, I would think you were trying to get me alone, Daniel." As I said this, his eyes seemed to darken, becoming more intense as his eyes drilled into mine.

"And how does that make you feel?" He asked quietly, his voice just above a whisper.

As I opened my mouth to speak, the door behind Dan opened and he stumbled back, falling into the person behind the door. Phil stood shocked from Dan's fall, and then let out a laugh.

"Jesus Christ, Phil!" Dan exclaimed as he stood back up on his own two feet.

"Well what are you guys doing out here? We're about to start a game of Monopoly!" Phil explained as both Dan and I entered the flat. Phil walked into what I assumed was the lounge while Dan and I followed behind.

"Do you want something to drink?" Dan asked and I nodded.

"Just a water would be fine." I said and he coaxed me into the kitchen.

"Two of our friends are here right now, but they're really easy to get along with." He said as he got a glass from a cupboard.

"You guys have a really cool place." I said as I looked around at the modern structure of the flat. I heard Dan laughs he poured water into the glass. "What?"

"A really cool place." He mocked my accent as he handed me the glass. I rolled my eyes as we walked into the lounge. The space was roomy and had a long couch along the wall, but no one was sitting on it. There was a coffee table in the middle of the room where Phil and two other people sat around it on the floor. The Monopoly board was already set up with the money and pieces.

"Ah there you are! Sophia, this is Michael and Violet." Phil introduced me to the boy and girl sitting in front of the table. Both of them had a bottle of beer in front of them. They smiled genuinely at me and I smiled back.

"Nice to meet you." Violet said.

"As to you." I responded.

"Oh, you're from America?" Michael questioned as I sat next to Dan on the floor.