five

I scanned the shelf with my eyes, searching for the right brand of dishwasher soap. I hated going to the grocery store, especially when I had to get something as minuscule as dishwasher soap. To me, it felt like a complete waste of time and energy, but I knew it wouldn't just magically appear in my kitchen. My eyes landed on the correct brand and I grabbed the bottle. I double checked the price, and then turned on my heel to walk towards the check stand. I felt my phone buzz from the back pocket of my jeans and grabbed it swiftly, unlocking it in one motion as I continued to walk.

Oliver: I'm having some friends over and wanted to know if you would like to come join us for some drinks? Unless I'm going to get rejected again? ;)

I sighed and began to text him back. The last thing I wanted to do was hang out with Oliver's rowdy friends after a long day at work. And besides, I had already promised him a date. Wasn't that enough? I rounded the corner of the aisle as I typed my lie, telling him I was feeling a bit ill.

"Oh God, I am so sorry." A male rambled right after I collided with him, my phone dropping from my hand to the floor. I watched as Dan knelt to the floor and picked my phone up. I let my shoulders drop at my luck. Of course it would be Dan of all people. He handed me my phone and smiled to me. "Didn't I tell you I would find you?"

I rolled my eyes and slipped my phone back in my pocket. "Does this mean you're stalking me?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Right," He said. "Because I have time for that."

"Dan?" I heard another male voice come from behind me. I turned to see another boy about the same age as Dan, and almost the same haircut. His hair was jet black and his eyes were light blue and full of amusement.

"Phil, this is that girl I was telling you about." Dan said, motioning to me.

"Oh, Starbucks girl! Hi, I'm Phil. It's nice to meet you." The boy said, extending a hand to me. I laughed lightly and shook his hand.

"Phil, she has a name." Dan scoffed and Phil laughed.

"It's Sophia." I said and Phil nodded.

"I remember now."

"Sorry about your phone, Sophia." Dan said and I shook my head, taking it out of my pocket.

"It's fine. Not even a scratch." I said, examining the screen.

"What did you do?" Phil asked, his voice full of concern.

"I wasn't watching where I was going and ran into her. I totally knocked her phone right out of her hand." Dan said, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"No, no it wasn't your fault. I was texting." I tried convincing him so he wouldn't feel as bad.

"Well hey, what are you doing tonight?" Phil asked me, raising his eyebrows.

"Oh, um, probably just going to hang out at my place." I said, shifting on my feet.

"We're having a board game night with a bunch of our friends at our place. You're totally welcome to come if you want?" Phil offered as Dan looked over to him.

"She is?" He asked and Phil looked to me and laughed.

"Is it a problem, Dan?" I asked teasingly as he looked to me, his lips parted slightly. He blinked a few times and then shook his head.

"Oh, no no! I didn't mean it like that, oh dear God I probably just sounded so rude." He began to babble as he ran a hand down his face. I couldn't help but laugh at how nervous he suddenly got. It was extremely adorable.

"I'm just kidding." I said and he let out a breath.

"Well on that note, yeah you want to come?" He chuckled, placing his fists on his hips.

"I've never really been on for board games-" I started but Phil cut me off.

"Oh come on. It's also just fun to sit and talk." He was trying really hard to convince me to come, and I could only hope it was for Dan's sake. The more I talked to him, the more appealing I found him.

"What time?" I asked and Dan smiled, his expression ridden of embarrassment.

"Eight," Dan said. "And I'm assuming you need the address?"

"That might be handy." I said and I heard Phil snort.

"Hey, she's almost as sarcastic as you are." He said and walked past us. "I'm going to go pay for this stuff," He held up the two things he was holding. "See you tonight, Sophia."

I watched as Phil walked away and looked to Dan, who was blushing only slightly. "What's your address?" I asked and he smiled.

"If you give me your number, I could text it to you." His eyes held a playful glint to them, and he suddenly seemed to gain all his confidence back. He pulled his phone out and handed it to me. I looked down at it for a few seconds and then looked back up to him.

"What if I don't trust you with my number?" I asked and he rolled his eyes.

"Then I guess we'll be missing you at game night." He said jokingly and put the phone into the palm of my hand. I looked at him with a challenging look, but then proceeded to put my number into his phone.

"I guess I'll see you then." I said as I handed it back to him. He smiled and looked at his phone screen, nodding his head.

"I guess I will."

After paying for my soap and walking home, I picked out an outfit for the night and laid it out on my bed. Even though I still had plenty of time, I decided to do my hair in loose curls now, just to get it over with. I grabbed the remote to my TV and flicked the TV on, tossing the control onto the couch.

I walked into my bathroom and turned my iron on as the commercials began to sound on the TV, advertising a variety of products.

"And we are back with the story on the missing University girl," I heard the news anchor say. I immediately walked into the lounge, resting my hands on the back of the sofa.

"Alison Spader's body was found early this morning in an abandoned pipe factory on the very outskirts of London." A photo of a rusted and decrepid building was shown on the screen of the television. Bright yellow caution tape was roping off the front entrance as a few investigators walked around the building.

"We are currently awaiting information from the medical examiner, but a few hints were left from the killer. We're going to send it to Patrick who is currently on the scene. Patrick?"

The camera changed to a man in front of the building. He nodded and then lifted his microphone to his lips.

"Yes, I'm here at the factory and I must say, the scene is gruesome. I just spoke with the head police officer in charge of the case, and he said that women in the London area are advised to stay safe until more information comes out. We aren't sure the exact cause of death, but her body was found with a stab wound to her abdomen. One thing the killer left behind was a folded note card with the cursive signature 'Mr. Sandman.' Police are suggesting these are the behaviors of a sociopathic killer."

I grabbed the remote quickly and shut the TV off, standing still for a few moments before placing it back on the couch. I walked to the bathroom, feeling numb.

London was an enormous city.

I would be fine.

------

wow hi sorry this literally took me three days to write haha. anyways i apologize if there are any spelling/grammar mistakes, I am slightly intoxicated at the moment and don't feel like reading over the chapter.  thank you guys for the feedback and all that cool stuff it means a lot to me tbh. I'm going to try and update v soon. love you alllllll.