eleven

Ice cream in the middle of a freezing winter sounded completely outlandish, but then again, Dan was nowhere near normal. After a surprisingly quick ten minute walk, we ended up at an ice cream parlor down the street from The Society. I knew part of me should have felt bad for leaving Oliver behind, but not one single ounce of me felt anything but ecstatic.

Something about being around Dan made me feel spellbound. Something was dangerous and edgy about him, but not in the orthodox way. He was a soft, sweet individual on the outside. Although, something lurked deep down under his glossy chocolate eyes and toussled brown hair.

We sat at a forest green table in the center of the parlor as the only girl working began flipping some of the chairs on the other tables, indicating the closing of the shop. "Should we go soon?" I asked as I held my milkshake in my hands.

"They don't close until eleven. 'Sonly ten forty-five." Dan said as he finished his last spoonful of vanilla ice-cream. I looked down at my cup and punched in the bubbles on the lid slowly. I bit my lip, contemplating asking Dan questions about himself, knowing all too well how deep in I already was.

"Dan, I don't really know much about you." I said finally, catching him off guard. He looked up at me, smiling only slightly as he put his spoon into the cup.

"What do you mean?" He laid his arms on the table and leaned closer.

I shrugged. "I mean, we have hung out before, but I don't know where you work or if you're going to school or-"

"Then ask me."

His eyes became intense; ablaze with passion as he watched me move my cup to the side.

"Anything?"

"Anything."

I took a moment before asking him a question.

"Where do you work?"

"Haynes Law Firm," He stated. "I'm an office assistant, among other things."

"Are you interested in becoming a lawyer or something?" I asked, not being able to picture him working in law. He shrugged.

"Kind of. I used to really want to do it, but I'm just going through the motions at this point. I'm hoping to find something I'm more passionate about."

"And you and Phil. How long have you guys known each other?" I felt like I was interrogating him, and he knew it fully. I couldn't be so blind with him anymore. I needed to learn more about him before I could continue even any sort of romantic thought with him.

"Quite a few years now," He said. "He's my best friend."

"Wait, where are you from?" I questioned, suddenly realizing I didn't even know that much about him. He chuckled, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Workingham, Berkshire." He said, but I could tell that he knew I had no idea where that was.

"Does your family still live there?" 

"Somewhat, yes."

"And what does that mean exactly?"

He remained reticent for a moment, looking down at the table. He looked back up and raised his eyebrows slightly.

"My Dad and brother do. My Mum hasn't been in my life for quite some time now."

Judging by his facial expression and tone of voice, I decided to not continue on that question, leaving those details to be discovered later.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, but he waved it off.

"You didn't know," He smiled and nodded to me. "Anymore questions?"