fourteen

I cringed heavily as I pushed the front door of the publication office open, immediately retracting my injured hand. Ignoring Johanna's intimidating stare, I scurried up into the elevator and to the second floor. I pressed my back against the wall of the elevator and shut my eyes. I had gotten maybe two hours of sleep the night before, tossing and turning over the thought of Dan being a killer.

The doors to the elevator slid open and I stepped out, my sights set on the comfort of my desk. I looked over towards Sidney's desk, but she had already seen me. She followed close behind my steps, an eager expression on her face. I set my things down and looked to her, stopping her before she could begin. "I don't want to talk about it."

Her eyebrows furrowed as I sat down and she crossed her arms over her chest. "That bad?" She questioned, her energy immediately decreasing. I nodded. I didn't need her involved in my issues.

"Yeah," I sighed, shrugging my black jacket off and onto the back of my chair. I watched as she mulled over what I had said, preparing her next argument to find out what happened. Like a miracle from heaven, there was an interruption.

We both looked to the elevator and saw Eric, Sidney's boyfriend, step out. In his hand, he held a rich bouquet of red and pink roses. Without a word, she ran over to him. I looked down at my hand and ran my fingers over the off-white bandages.

I couldn't stop thinking about how everything seemed to be slowly, but surely, adding up. Granted coincidences did happen, I was beginning to think a coincidence would have been too much of a good thing.

I checked my phone to see I had no notifications. I knew there was no way Dan could have known I suspected him, but for some reason, I was on edge. Had my hand dripped blood anywhere in his car? Maybe I forgot to replace something I moved? He hadn't texted me all morning, which normally wouldn't have bother me. But this morning, it was almost unnerving.

"Isn't he just so cute?"

I was jolted from my thoughts as Sidney came back to my desk, now holding the flowers. "He came by just to give these to me."

"That's adorable," I said quickly, suddenly feeling a draft down my arms and back. "Is it cold in here to you?"

Sidney looked at me oddly and shook her head. "Are you okay?" She asked, a worried expression now taking over her facial features. I nodded and rubbed my hands over my arms.

"Yeah, yeah. Just cold."

"Oh my God what did you do to your hand?"

I froze. I wasn't prepared for this question at all. I should have figured someone would ask, judging by the medical bandages. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

"I, slammed my hand. In the front door." I muttered and Sidney returned a curious look.

"You should nap or something, Soph." She laughed and made her way back to her desk, showing the flowers to another girl on the way. I let out a frustrated breath.

After checking my phone one more time, I slipped it into my bag and got my work essentials out. Even though I appeared to be working, I was scheming a plan.

I was going to figure Dan out once and for all. After my shift, I would make it a point to show up at his flat unexpectedly and find out what the hell was going on behind closed doors.

---------

this was kind of a filler to move the plot along, but the next chapters will be hella crazy so consider this the calm before the storm. love u guys.