Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I walked to his room.  He would be frantic as I was late.  And he was. 

I then spent most of the afternoon complying to his raw desires.  But my mind was elsewhere. 

Could I really trust Percy? 

The King had made it very clear what would happen if he tried to escape.  But he would not be escaping.  I would be effectively kidnapping him.  Stealing him away from myself. 

I would be betraying him.  That hurt. 

But could I trust Percy?  Would Percy simply hand him over to the King?  Did Percy have his own agenda?  No, not Percy.  I knew Percy too well to believe that would be conspiring.  I was sure that I could rely on Percy.   I was fairly sure.

Whatever Percy’s motivations were, he was right about one thing, this couldn’t go on.  I had to do something. 

When the guards pulled me from his grasp, I went to see Douglas. 

Douglas smiled and answered my subtle questions. 

“I think you should do what Percy suggests,” he said unprompted.  “Percy asked me many the same questions but not so directly and never in the same conversation.  You can trust him, he is not the King’s man and he... well not so much loves you but certainly respects you.” We smiled at each other.

I made my preparations before I returned to Torc.  This time I wasn’t late and he wasn’t so desperate. 

I kissed him and tried to remember how much I loved him.  Despite my attempts he sulked when I left and told me that I must have better things to do than be with him.

Yes, I had no choice but to adhere to Percy’s plans.

I braced myself for this evening.  I wanted him to forget everything.  I wanted to forget everything.  I wanted him to be the man I fell in love with once more before I betrayed him. 

He was reaching for the harness when I entered the room.

This was the time.  I knew what I had to do and this was when it had to be done.

“You have lost all your gifts haven’t you,” I said attempting to sound off hand.

“What?” he stopped and looked at me.

“Well you are hardly the world’s greatest lover any more are you?  You haven’t lifted a sword in months and well ... it’s shrunk,” I shrugged, “That is why you need the harness.”

“What?” he looked at me with wide frightened eyes before glancing downwards.   

I smothered the sad smile.  Percy wanted me to start him questioning this gift.  To make him think that it no longer existed.  It was the only way, Percy had said, for him to be free of it.

“Maybe the magic is wearing off.”  I looked uninterested and sighed, “I do miss the love making though.  You used to be good at that.”

“What?”

“When was the last time I called your name in passion, can you even remember?”

“But...but... you did... you aren’t...?”  he looked crushed.

“I wonder what you will be like when you are just a man with simple worldly needs.  Will you be so selfish?”

He turned to me his eyes looking hurt, “Selfish?”