Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I had just finished speaking to the twelve and their wives when Jonathan and Douglas were mostly carried in.  They smelled disgusting and I believe they were trying to sing.

I sent the women away quickly.

Jonathan and Douglas then stood facing me swaying on their feet. 

“Maeb, this is not my fault,” Jonathan slurred, “He made me do it!”

“Yup,” Douglas agreed with him as he stumbled over his own feet.  One of the men caught him and held him.

“Let them sleep it off, I will speak to them when they are sober.”

“Maeb, you can take me to bed,” Jonathan moved towards me with his arms wide.  I felt my eyes widen as my stomach dropped.  Anyone could overhear him.  I glanced around quickly.

 Suddenly Thomas was there. He simply stepped forward and slammed his fist into Jonathan’s face.  Jonathan blinked rapidly as he teetered on his feet.  Then his eyes rolled back as he toppled backwards.

“My Queen, please accept my apologies on behalf of my brother.  He knows not what he says.  Please do not take insult.”

“Thank you Thomas, circumstances permit me to accept your apology.  But make sure he is aware that I will not be as lenient next time.” I watched the men drag away Jonathan.  Then I turned back to Thomas and frowned as I softly asked, “You enjoyed that didn’t you?”

A broad smirk was my answer.  Then he shrugged and mumbled, “I have been wantng to do that for quite some time.”

I sighed.  What else could I do? 

I headed back to the hall.  Percy and the Lords were still discussing and I needed to be there.  I did not know why, it wasn’t like anyone wanted my opinion.  But Percy had insisted, apparently I was the living reminder to them all of what was at stake. 

While I sat watching the Lords argue, I tried not to think of Aine.  I couldn’t afford to be seen as anything less than strong and regal to the Lords.  But in reality all I wanted to do was crawl up in my bed and weep.  But I wasn’t going to dwell on that.

Instead I concentrated my thoughts on the Twelve.  I would be handing Leadership back to Jonathan now that he was no longer in hiding.  They would still be my guard and loyal to me but Jonathan would head them.  I was hoping to do this today but it would have to wait now, there was no way I was handing over the twelve to an inebriated Jonathan.

Thomas and I had agreed that the only way with dealing with this was to keep the men busy. He would have them training from sunrise to sunset.  We also agreed to keep their guard duties short by rotating them frequently.  This did not give them time to dwell and they went home exhausted at night. 

This did not allow for grieving but we did not have that luxury and these were fighting men.  They would do their grieving on the battle field.  I just had to keep them busy to prevent those who carried anger and agony from bar brawls, fist fights, or insults aimed at our guests.

I had been weak last night.  I should not have allowed Jonathan and Douglas to drown their sorrows in such a way.  This set a bad example to the men.  I should have expected that.

It was late in the afternoon when the Lords left the hall.  I breathed a sigh of relief until I saw Percy’s face.  Damn why was he so angry.  Without saying a word he took my arm and gently but insistently guided me to the Library. Jonathan was already hunched over in a chair waiting for us.  He cradled his head in his hands.