Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I woke screaming for him.  I was upright in bed and I heard myself calling his name as I woke.  I fell back to the bed sobbing as my arms clutch a hold of my chest.

“Shh, shh, Blossum,” Graces arms wrapped around me.  I held on to her as I cried.  Then when I had no energy left for tears she lay me back in the bed and pulled the covers up.  I closed my eyes exhausted.

“Mother you need your sleep.” The deep voice at the door mumbled I didn’t open my eyes because I knew who it was, “You haven’t had a full nights rest since I brought her here.  Let me watch her tonight. You will get ill if you don’t get some sleep and then I will never forgive myself.”

“She is a Lady, she should be chaperoned.”

“Mother she is pregnant.  I doubt that her virginity would be in question with me alone in the room with her.  I will sleep in the chair next to the bed.” I he sighed, “You must sleep.”

I heard the door close and the chair being pulled closer to the bed and something come to rest on the bed.   

“Good night Blossom.  I will protect you from your nightmares tonight.” He whispered softly as he stroked my face. 

I slept with Torc’s face in my dreams but something warm held me and kept me strong.  I slept through the nightmares as a soft beat and a warm hard pillow eased my pain.

I woke with the morning sun. Before I even opened my eyes my body stiffened.  I was not alone. 

Two arms were wrapped around me and my face was pressed against his bare chest.  My arms were wrapped around his waist and through the bedsheets and all the clothing I felt that familiar hardness of an aroused man. 

Quickly I released my hold on him and moved away.  This was not Torc, not Jonathan.  This was not the man I loved.  The tears came.

“I am sorry, you were restless in the night.  I thought I could comfort you but you... well you slept better in my arms.” He said quietly as he rolled away to the side of the bed.  “I didn’t mean to upset you.”

I didn’t say anything, I just held myself and cried softly.  I felt the bed move and the door closed as he left the room.

What was I doing?  I wasn’t going to die, that much was obvious now.  So I had to consider what I was doing.  I couldn’t lie in bed for another day.  It was time to get up and see what my options were. The hurt was still there but Grace was right, this was a pain that I would have to learn to bear.

Carefully I sat up and swung my feet to the floor.  I could hear the voices on the other side of the door but right now I was alone.  Good.  I had to find my clothes, I stood up to look for them and abruptly fell against the chair.  Before I could recover, the door opened with a whoosh and the strong arms were wrapped around me pulling me into his hard chest.  I opened my eyes and looked up into his concerned face.

“Are you alright?  You shouldn’t be up on your own, you have been lying down too long, your legs will have to regain their strength.”

“Not interrupting are we?” came a voice from the door.  I looked over and blushed.  Thomas instantly spun me so he was between me and the door, my face still in his chest.  His three accomplishes stood in the door way grinning broadly as I clung to Thomas dressed only in a light nightshirt.

“I could have looked after her if this was the medicine!” I heard a voice laugh.

“Out!” Thomas growled.  Then he looked down at me as the door shut and said gently, “Stay in bed until Mother brings in some clothing.   I will take you outside later.  Don’t worry Blossom I will look after you.”  Then he lowered me back onto the bed and smiled a crooked smile before leaving me.