Chapter 22

Dedicated to Cool74 - Happy Birthday!

Chapter 22

From our position in the trees, I couldn’t see the saddle or any colours on the horse.

“It could be the local noble checking on us.  It is only one man Blossom.  Why don’t you hide in the barn while I see what he wants?”

“Don’t take any risks Thomas.  You are not ready to fight a noble man.  If it is bad news call me ‘Daisy’ then I will know that you are in trouble.” I kissed him and watched him go. 

Then I moved quickly.  I went around the barn to the place I had hidden my swords.  Thomas was still inside so I quickly moved away from the barn to the other side of the house.  I could not be where Thomas expected me to be. He was sweet but naive and would give my location away easily with his fear, if the visitor was the Kings man.

I heard laughter from the house but still that was no indication that all was well.  I was close enough to the horse now that I could take it and flee if I needed to.  But then I would be leaving Thomas to his fate.  I wasn’t sure I could do that.  Irrespective, I did need to make sure that this man couldn’t escape and bring more men.  I listened.

“... Yes I took her to the waterfall today... your timing is good brother... she is my love... do not judge her by that brother.  She is kind and true.  I love her.... I am glad that you have found love too... when do we get to meet this Lady of yours?  ...She is missing?  ...Come, come and meet my Blossom, she is outside tending to the goats in the barn.”

I watched the men come out of the house and face the barn. 

“Blossom, it is Johnny, my brother returned from the war.  Come and met my brother, my blossom.” He called to the barn as he walked towards it.  The man who stood next to him was slightly taller and broader but that could have been his uniform, his hair was the same colour but like his mothers it was unruly and fought the leather tie that bound it at the base of his neck. 

I stepped out to meet his brother but then I froze.  I backed away but it was too late.  Thomas didn’t hear my approach, behind them but his brother was a trained warrior and spun to see me before I could escape.  We looked into each others eyes for what seemed like an eternity.  This his eyes dropped to the bulge of my pregnancy and he smiled.

Then he crossed the small lawn in a couple of strides and swept me up into his arm.  He buried his face in my hair and with my feet off the ground he swung me around.  Stunned there was nothing I could do.

“Maeb, my Maeb, I have found you,” he muttered softly as he kissed my neck.

“Umm, Johnny?” Thomas questioned the confusion in his voice clear, “Blossum?”

“Torc, put me down,” I said firmly. 

He pulled his face from my neck and looked at me with regret and pain etched on his features, “Please Maeb, please forgive me?” 

Thomas stepped in closer still confused, “No, Johnny this is Blossum, this is my Blossum.”

With that Torc set me down and I took a step back from him, “Your Blossom?”  The pain in his eyes deepened. “Maeb, I have been looking for you.  I was wrong.”

“Torc... what are you... No...”  I shook my head as I looked between the two men.  The same eyes, the same build, the same expressions, how did I not see this before?