052. ━ grey and sloan

chapter fifty-two ━ grey and sloan( season nine, episode five)

( season nine, episode five)

❝There's still a Sloan and a
Grey out in the world.❞

"CATHERINE, I PROMISE, we are both sleeping." Ellie was on speaker phone with Catherine Avery while braiding her hair tightly and out of her face. "And it's so sweet that you keep calling to check in, but you don't have to do it daily. Not much happens that my news changes every day."

"Oh, please, this is the most that I've talked to my son in one week since I can remember," Catherine replied and the blonde raised her eyebrows. "I'm not stopping any time soon."

"But you're calling me," she reminded the woman. "And I love our talks, I do, but if you want to your son, why aren't you calling him?"

Catherine shrugged from the other end of the phone. "He keeps hanging up," she said. "I imagine he sees my contact pop up on his phone and hits decline."

"Does he now...?" Ellie asked. "Well... just hang on a minute." She looked out the bedroom door. "Jackson!"

He furrowed his brows and poked his head through the door, his toothbrush in his mouth. "What?"

She smiled at him. "Phone."

He looked at her in confusion before bringing it up to his ear. "Uh—hello?"

"Hi, baby," Ellie could hear from the other end and she chuckled to herself while Jackson sighed, hanging his head. "I've been trying to reach you."

"So you resorted to calling my girlfriend so that I would answer the phone?" he asked, tilting his head.

"Yes."

He shook his head. "Goodbye, Mom."

Jackson quickly handed Ellie her phone and left the room before Ellie could react. "W—Jackson!" she called out, following after him. "Jackson, get back here and talk to your mother! No—don't get in the shower. Jackson!"

"It's okay, Ellie." She paused and looked back down at the phone in her hand. "We can just talk about you. Tell me everything." She sighed and shook her head.

☀️

ELLIE WALKED INTO the OR later that day, seeing that Meredith, Heather, and Ross were already inside. Jo Wilson, her intern, trailed behind her. "Sorry I'm late," she said, putting on her surgical gown and looking at the general surgeon. "I would've been here sooner except that Catherine needed my life story before work."

"It's alright," Meredith replied, not looking up from the surgery. "Did you have a chance to look at the scans?"

Ellie nodded. "Yeah. The break is near the femoral artery. Losing a lot of blood?"