Eleven - I Spy

Allen's P.O.V

        He staggered aimlessly through dense woodlands, lost, hungry and alone. His stunted legs ached and his stomach growled relentlessly. He hadn't eaten since the day he freed the kids and even then he had only eaten a small bowl of tomato smothered pasta. He would give anything for that small bowl of pasta now. Sometimes he saw food in the distance. Sometimes he would see a randomly placed plate of chips, or a slice of steaming, cheesy pizza. He would run to them, and as he would reach down to claim them, they would fade slowly away. He had come across a river recently so he wasn't thirsty and the weather had been kind, raining every so often to give him strength.

        "If only it could rain strawberries," he mused under his breath. "Or maybe grapes, or crisps, or-" He cut himself off quickly. There was no point making himself even hungrier.

        It also didn't help that he had no idea where he was. He couldn't have gone in the opposite direction because that would have led him to the village for the new victims and survivors. Sure he could have stayed there for maybe a few days, have a proper bed instead of the forest floor and some food, but after them few days, his scarred ex-master would arrive and no doubt kill him. As bad as Allen's life was, he didn't want to die just yet.

        So instead of wandering to the village, he took the opposite direction into the heart of the seemingly never ending woodland.  He had never had any reason to go this way before.  He never really left the house unless he was in the village taking the new arrivals to the dungeon.  He now thought that it might have been a good idea to actually have taken a look around and gotten used to the surroundings, but he supposed he never thought he's be in this situation.  He didn't know how long he had been going. He barely slept for the forest floor was covered with insects and twigs that didn't look, smell or feel very comfortable or safe to Allen. He just kept walking, hoping that maybe another village would pop up and be nothing to do with a sick game of starve the children in the dark. 'Chess' his old master had said, 'Chess'. Allen spat at the thought of the man and his 'Chess'.

        He knew exactly what he was going to do if he ever got out of there.  He would go straight to the police.  He knew he would most likely get arrested, it had been quite some time since this whole situation started and the judges would see no reason for him not coming to them earlier.  But although he didn't want to go to prison, it was better than a life with the black cloaks, a life of kidnapping and murder.

        He stopped walking suddenly and closed his eyes, listening. It could be another illusion like the taunting of food, but he thought he head tires squealing. Eyes still closed, he began to walk blindly towards the sound of tires crushing the crispy leaves from last Autumn. He hit a few trees on the way but he kept on until he heard voices.

        "Look Jay! There's a man!" a woman yelled.

        Allen snapped his eyes wide open. He felt a flood of relief fill him from head to toe. He raised his hands in the air and waved.

        "Help, help!" he croaked his voice hoarse a broken with thirst.

        The man, Jay, drove towards Allen and hopped out of the car just as Allen's legs failed him. Jay caught him as he fell.

        "Are you okay? Why are you here? How long have you been here?" he asked quickly, half carrying Allen to his feet.

        "I'm fine, need food. Went for a walk, got lost. I don't know how long," he lied briefly, his throat burning.