Nineteen - Thinking

John's P.O.V

        Tying the two boats together was the difficult part. It seemed that Rob wasn't a very deep thinker, if he was any kind of thinker at all.

        "Where's the hole to put the rope through?" He asked with a puzzled look on his face.

        John was part way in-between laughing and hitting himself in the face.

        "You have to make the hole. Boats don't just come conveniently prepared for an escape that requires them to be tied together to escape a gang of men in black."

        "Well they should." Rob pouted.

        John heard a snort of laughter behind him that quickly turned into a disguising cough when he looked at her.

        "Swallowed a bug," Jade insisted, grinning uncontrollably.

        John tried to keep a straight face, but his lips began to twitch and soon he was smiling too.

        "Hey guys, do you plan to stand there staring at each other all day or..?"

        "Shut up, Rob," John said, blushing slightly.

        "I'm not Rob, I'm Amory you idiot. Wow, you have it bad don't you?"

        "What? No! Pfft." He spluttered

        "What does he mean?" Jade asked.

        "Nothing!" John half-shouted, cutting off anything Amory was about to say.

        "Okay, okay!" Jade said, raising her hands in mock surrender. "I'm going to go find Imogen, have fun with your manly boat fixing!"

        "Bye!" John waved as she walked away. He then turned sharply and smacked his hand across Amory's shoulder.

        "Ow! What was that for?" he exclaimed.

        "You know what it was for!"

        "Oh, because of you and Jade!" Amory sang.

        "Be quiet! There is no 'me and Jade'."

        "Trouble in paradise?"

        John sighed, not replying and he saw Amory's face soften.

        "You do like her, don't you?"

        "I-I think so, maybe...yes."

        "Then what's the problem?"

        "What do you expect me to do, I can't just ask her out can I?" John retorted.

        "...well that is generally what people do when they like someone."

        "Oh."

        "Just be yourself. Be sincere and she is sure to say yes! If it makes any difference I think she likes you too."

        "Thanks, man. Wait, you've done this before right? You're not trying to make me fail are you?"

        "Define 'done this before'?" Amory said slowly.

        "Asked out a girl?"

        "No, no, no, I've never asked out a girl!"

        "So...a boy?"