Twelve - Crash

The ferry wasn't very big. Not how Jade had imagined one to look like when she was a child. There was no giant swimming pool, no big slides, no giant bouncy castle like beds. Everything was very plain. All the walls were a pale yellow, the paint cracking and the floors were covered with a thick green carpet which felt lovely against her sore feet. There were many circular windows dotted all around the cabins and little portraits of fishing boats hung on the walls. Each room had two twin beds side by side, apart from a few of the rooms with double beds that weren't that much bigger. It was good enough for Jade though as she leaped onto one of the beds and closed her eyes. It was the comfiest thing she had had to lie on for almost a year.

        Thankfully, there weren't many passengers on the ferry so it was easy for Jade and the others to sneak on board and get rooms. They had all chosen a person to room with and found a row of cabins so they could all be near each other. Jade and Imogen shared, as did John and Amory, and Melanie and Isabelle, much to Melanie's annoyance. Jade wasn't surprised she didn't want to share, Isabelle just did not stop talking most of the time, and it was mainly mindless nonsense that nobody cared about. That, or she would be sulky and would give everyone the silent treatement.

         Jade opened her eyes to see Imogen leaning over her with a smile on her pale face. Jade always felt that she could go swimming in Imogen's eyes.

        "I like your necklace," she said in sweet voice and pointed to Jade's locket.

        Jade's fingers instantly moved to hold it up. She opened it and showed Imogen the little pictures inside.

        "There's you!" she said, pointing at Jade's face of the tiny photo. "Is that your sister?" she asked, prodding Blue's face.

        "Yeah, her name is Blue," Jade said.

        "She's very pretty," Imogen said. "Are they your parents?" She poked the other photo.

        Jade felt tears in her eyes but she blinked them back.

        "Yes."

        "When we get back home, can I meet them?" she asked not seeing the sad look on Jade's face.

        "They're not-they aren't here anymore. They are... in heaven," Jade said.

        She wasn't a big believer in God but it was an easier way to explain to Imogen, who's eyes widened as she leaned forward to hug Jade.

        "My grandma is in heaven too, my mum says she is living with the angels. What happened to your parents?" she whispered into Jade's shoulder. Jade just hugged her tighter.

        ***

        Ten year old Jade sat on the stairs with her hands pressed firmly over her ears. Despite her efforts, she could still hear the arguing.

        "I can take her! Why do you have to come?!" her dad shouted.

        "She'll want us both to go. Stop being such a selfish bastard!" her mum yelled back.

        Jade wanted to cry. She loved both of her parents, they were the kindest people in the world to Jade, but since they had divorced a few months ago, life had been hell. She just wanted Blue.

        It was the day of Jade's Christmas play and when she came back from school to get her costume.  It was the average Nativity Play, but Jade was extra excited for she had been chosen to portray Mary.  She had hoped to be one of the angels, until she was told that the angels were boys.  When she had come home, she opened the front door to hear her parents shouting. Blue was already at school with her costume but Jade had forgotten hers. She now sat on the stairs, waiting for it to be over.

        "Jade! Time to go, get in the car!" her mum called from the kitchen.

        She didn't notice the arguing had stopped, but she was glad for an excuse to get out of the house so she ran to the car. She sat in the back right seat of the car and waited until her parents got in. Her dad was driving and the journey was in silence.

        The traffic was heavy as they drove down the motorway. They had to stop the car because the queue was so long. They were stopped partway under a small bridge. Jade could see cars driving across it, but her parents couldn't.

        Jade saw a truck filled with logs enter onto the bridge. The logs wobbled and jumped. Even Jade knew they weren't attached on properly.

        She saw the thin rope tied around the wood stretch thin.

        "Mum! Dad! We need to move!" Jade cried.

        "We can't darling, don't worry, we won't be late," her dad assured her.

        The rope pulled tighter.

        "Jade, I know it must be hard for you, with me and your dad splitting, but we both just want you to know that we love you very much," her mum said.

        "I love you too, but-"

        The rope snapped.

        Jade screamed as all the heavy logs fell, crushing the front of the car. The ear-splitting sound of screeching metal deafened her ears.

        "MUM! DAD!" She choked but she didn't get an answer. Her legs felt crushed and the pain was unbearable. She felt her brain begin to shut down and she gave in to the darkness.

        She woke up in a hospital with her legs suspended in the air. Both of them bore casts, she had broken both of her legs Her head felt like she had charged it repeatedly against a wall and she just wanted to go back to sleep forever.

        "You're awake!" One of the doctors rushed over to her as she blinked away her sleepiness.

        "Where are my mummy and daddy?" she asked and the doctor's face fell.

        "I'm sorry, kid, your mummy and daddy are in heaven now."

        "When will they be back?"

        "I'm afraid they're not coming back," he said softly as Blue ran though the door.

        "Blue, mum and dad aren't coming back!" Jade's eyes filled with tears, and as one fell down her cheek, Blue brushed it away with her fingers.

        "It's okay, Jade, don't cry!" she said, although she was tearing up as well.

        "It will be okay, I'll look after you." Blue stroked Jade's black hair with one hand, and the other hugged her little sister to her side.

        *** 

        "There was a car crash," Jade said as she stroked Imogen's velvety hair. "Some logs fell from a truck and hit my parent's car." Imogen held Jade tighter.

        "I'm sorry," she said, her voice choked with emotion.

        "Me too," Jade murmured.